Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody help me to identify what are these for, Please!!!

Can somebody help me to identify what are these for, Please!!!

Newbie here say hello to everybody. I do need some kind of help from expert like you.
    I got a box of old camera parts last year and I can not figure it out what is this for. Try google for days, no luck. I suspect these masks probably for some kind of focusing device. It will be highly appreciated If you can let me know what are these for. thanks in advance.

There is "insert mask with pin toward lens" indicated on the leather surface.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	69251

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	69252

Re: Can somebody help me to identify what are these for, Please!!!

Are you sure that these are for a camera? With the red handles and the various openings in the metal, they look very much as though they could be masks for use in some kind of spot light. The masks would allow for the light to throw a specific pattern on the subject. The handles would allow the masks to be pulled or pushed into position to pinpoint the position of the pattern on the subject and the handles would allow for the fact that in a spot light, there could be considerable heat buildup on the metal.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I agree, looks like "gobos" - i.e. spotlight light forming masks. What size are they? Probably not big, if you considered their use as part of a finder system, but they still might be part of a light forming attachment to some tabletop scale light like a Dedolight or Inky. Any cine light rental places around you whom you might show it for a closer inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Are you sure that these are for a camera? With the red handles and the various openings in the metal, they look very much as though they could be masks for use in some kind of spot light. The masks would allow for the light to throw a specific pattern on the subject. The handles would allow the masks to be pulled or pushed into position to pinpoint the position of the pattern on the subject and the handles would allow for the fact that in a spot light, there could be considerable heat buildup on the metal.
    good point. I will keep googling about this. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    I agree, looks like "gobos" - i.e. spotlight light forming masks. What size are they? Probably not big, if you considered their use as part of a finder system, but they still might be part of a light forming attachment to some tabletop scale light like a Dedolight or Inky. Any cine light rental places around you whom you might show it for a closer inspection?
    it is about 1/2"Wx2" L. I don't really know what they are. I just guess they are for some kind RF device which probably wrong. Thank you.

Look like split screen masks and two vignettes for special effects. These probably were placed in a matte box on the front of the cine lens.

Quote Originally Posted by dick0309 View Post
    it is about 1/2"Wx2" L.
    That is even smaller than I assumed - too small for lighting parts. Worse, I'd expect any camera ever used with a matte box to have had a considerably bigger matte box size (not below 2" square), so we can most likely rule out even the smallest format cameras, which does not leave us much options. My next guess given the size: Special effects masks from a 8mm or 16mm optical printer - those I worked with used the same outer mask dimensions as 35mm printers, with smaller cut-outs, but there may have been dedicated 16mm or smaller printers with a matching mask size.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Look like split screen masks and two vignettes for special effects. These probably were placed in a matte box on the front of the cine lens.
    I think you point to the correct direction. and I believe these mask are nothing to do with my currect photo gears. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    That is even smaller than I assumed - too small for lighting parts. Worse, I'd expect any camera ever used with a matte box to have had a considerably bigger matte box size (not below 2" square), so we can most likely rule out even the smallest format cameras, which does not leave us much options. My next guess given the size: Special effects masks from a 8mm or 16mm optical printer - those I worked with used the same outer mask dimensions as 35mm printers, with smaller cut-outs, but there may have been dedicated 16mm or smaller printers with a matching mask size.
    in the same box, I have also a Baia 8mm, 16mm film splicer. so you probably right. but I am sure there are nothing to do with my currect gears. thank you for your help.

Wild guess...I wonder if these aren't for a 'cine/movie' camera, inserted directly in front of the film plane at the film gate?