Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW SCAN BACK: Rencay 1,38 GigaPixel 70x120mm

Landscape Addict

Re: NEW SCAN BACK: Rencay 1,38 GigaPixel 70x120mm

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    The numbers are strange. I can do a scan of an 8x10 at 8,000 (at 2666ppi), and get 26660 x 21328. This is supposedly similar, his are 26600x16000. That should equal 425.6 megapixels. How does he get 1.28 Gigapixels? The file, at that size (in my case 568 megapixels) is 24 Gigabytes, quite a bit for PShop. But where does he get those Gigas?

Also, the price of the larger oner is 32.900 Euros. That's $44,259.87 in US Dollars...

Yeah, ouch...

Lenny
    It states 26660 x 12328 x RGB. Meaning 425mp Red image, 425mp Green image 425mp Blue image. 1276.8mp or 1.24 Gigapixels..
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Noah, you're right about why scan backs were kicked off in the weeds. The other stuff (single shot backs and even DSLRs) is plenty good enough for most all work. The other thing is that scan backs are only going to work on absolutely still scenes, with absolutely consistent lighting for the entire time of the scan. The files can be breath taking though and carry few of the flaws that instant capture sensors.

I used to shoot with scanning cameras and they were the top of the heap for a while, about 1990 through 2000. In that same time frame, DSLRs went from 1 MB files to over ten times that and the files just got better and better, until they were plenty good enough for most commercial work. And you could carry it around with you, not tethered to a computer and you could stop motion. What we have now is utterly amazing compared to just 20 years ago. That is why I am so surprised to see this back.

Landscape Addict

im blown away by the quality of the images I've seen from the scanning 617 camera I saw on google a few weeks back... Having said that, I shoot waterfalls and seascapes regularly.. No go with a scanner. I'd honestly be happy with a reasonably priced 4x5 digital back around 80mp, zero noise... I don't care if I have to expose at ISO:25 to be noise free, or even slower... Long exposures dont scare me... But 80mp digital images straight from the camera would be great. Although again, it would have to be an all in one unit, laptops and breaking waves over rocks don't mix...
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by alexn View Post
    im blown away by the quality of the images I've seen from the scanning 617 camera I saw on google a few weeks back... Having said that, I shoot waterfalls and seascapes regularly.. No go with a scanner. I'd honestly be happy with a reasonably priced 4x5 digital back around 80mp, zero noise... I don't care if I have to expose at ISO:25 to be noise free, or even slower... Long exposures dont scare me... But 80mp digital images straight from the camera would be great. Although again, it would have to be an all in one unit, laptops and breaking waves over rocks don't mix...
    That's the Seitz 6x17 scanning camera, which does the whole image in one second, so can be used for waterfalls. They have samples and explain how it can capture such images at: http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/intern...d925/f1000.cfm

Only 33,000 euros. Cheap!

How is this new scan back better than betterlight? http://www.betterlight.com/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Martin Langfeld, the founder of Rencay, also founded Anagramm. So I guess he knows a bit about scanning backs. He says that the new back uses TDIC (Time Delay Integration) technology, which is the same, or similar to the Seitz technology. I guess it is simply a larger version of the Seitz. Seitz was supposed to come up with a version suitable for regular 4x5 cameras. I guess this new back is that version. It is important to know that the data is not true RGB, but is interpolated.
    See http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...seitz-d3.shtml for more on the Seitz.

Kumar

Me too, Kirk. At those prices they may sell a few to libraries, archives and museums. But I'm not really sure what their backs will offer that can't be done just as well for a lot less money.

Now if the price was a third of what they're asking that would be a different story. I'm sure they're very precise and they'll be low-volume products and so the cost per unit is high. But they don't require a huge sensor and it's not really ground-breaking technology.

I guess I'll wait for the 4x5 100mp single shot back that's the size of a film holder and gives me previews on my iPhone. Or I'll just stick with film!

Quote Originally Posted by alexn View Post
    It states 26660 x 12328 x RGB. Meaning 425mp Red image, 425mp Green image 425mp Blue image. 1276.8mp or 1.24 Gigapixels..
    Alex, thanks for the clarification.

I guess that makes my drum scanner a 1.5+ Gigapixel scanner. I used to harp on Imacon for making wild, or theoretical, claims vs reality (their 4.8 dmax which was ridiculous, film tops out at 4.6 so what are they talking about?). These folks are taking the same numbers we all use and twisting them to their advantage. if one wants to compares apples with apples, its a 425mp as far as I am concerned.

Of course, that's still great... if it works well, and comes down in price...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

the website of rencay has been updated.

www.rencay.de

pjotr

Not much different really that I can tell. Still lacking in allot of essential details.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well I have an appointment with Martin in a few days at Photokina so if anyone has any specific questions about his products I will be happy to pass them on to him.

But if you do send them to my email address bob@hpmarketingcorp.com