Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polaroid 405 holder compatibility with Sinar F2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Polaroid 405 holder compatibility with Sinar F2

My large format camera is an older Sinar F2 works great and it has been getting some regular use of late. Just to make sure... I like to sometimes use instant film to test composition, focus and basic exposure but as most know instant film is getting difficult to come by especially in 4x5 size. I am willing to use the much more affordable smaller size Fuji FP-100c (3.25x4.25 inches) as opposed to the FP100c45 (4x5 inches). To that end I recently obtained a Polaroid 405 holder which is in good working condition compatible with the smaller size Fuji film. Film packet inserted and seem to work fine. Thought I was good to go since it mounted into the graphlock back with no problem, from what I have read thickness is sometimes an issue. The Sinar back even has some nice sliding clips to clamp it in tight and prevent light leak, but then I went to mount the back onto the camera with no luck. The film holder has a tab which projects, at the end where you pull the tab after an exposure, too far causing it to block the graphlock back with holder from seating properly as it hits against the camera standard. This prevents you from being able to close the mounting clamp required to hold the assembly into place, normally a very simple thing on the Sinar. I have tried to make it work in a variety of positions such but no such luck. If you shoot with the graphlock back mounted and the film holder improperly seated focus is off and you get light leak.
    Does anyone know if this is unique to the Sinar F2 but will work with other Sinar standards such as the "P"? Does anyone know if the actual "Fuji" holder, which looks like it has a slightly different geometry/shape, will work? Or am I just SOL trying to use the smaller sized more affordable film on my Sinar and if I want to shoot instant I am stuck with the overpriced 4x5 film?
    My Fuji PA 45 holder for the 4x5 just slides in no problems and works like a dream but since the film is discontinued and costs about 4 times the price $26/10 shots as opposed to $7/10 shots per the cheaper film is very appealing. Thanks for your expert wisdom and experience!!!

Re: Polaroid 405 holder compatibility with Sinar F2

Have you tried sliding the 405 under the ground glass?

I have an F2 but not a 405. The Fuji PA-45 can be locked down using the Graflok tabs with no issue.

Rick "who has been on the lookout for a cheap 405 of late" Denney

Use the Graflock sliders with the back in the horizontal position, that should clear anything I know about... at least with the 2-3 variations in Sinar backs that I've had. I've also used it upside down and vertical, pulling the slide from the top. Trying to put it under the ground glass is awfully tight... you may disrupt (or break!) the camera trying to remove it.

The other Sinars like the P are going to have similar back mechanisms, they are all interchangeable and common between the cameras. They changed them slightly every few years.

Post a photo if you continue to have problems....

Hi Frank! I try use a Polaroid 405 holder with my Sinar p2. I have similar problems to fix the holder with the tabs. I solved the problem by using rubber bands holding the pola back to the sinar frame tight.

George

Hmm, I just bought a Fuji PA-45 back.
    I have some FP100C45 film on the way.
    I have test mounted this back in front of the ground glass, by opening/extending the back by use of the two levers, one on each side.
    I am assuming this is how you would mount 4x5 double sided sheet film holders as well.
    Is this incorrect?
    I'm confused about the Graflock part above, and attaching this in lieu of the GG ?
    I am working from "instructions" found here:
    <<http://www.webster.edu/acadaffairs/asp/mediacenter/Photo/equipment%20manuals/sinar_introduction_manual.pdf>>
    I will take some pics tonight.

I use a PA-45 in my Sinar F2 all the time with no issue. You push in the two chrome spring clips above and below the ground glass and slide the ground-glass frame sideways. It comes unclipped and will come off the camera in your hand. Then, place the PA-45 in its place, making sure the ridge to the right of the opening seats in the slot on the camera, the same way any film holder would do. Then, slide the two tabs at the top and bottom of the back so that they slide into slots at the edges of the PA-45 and lock it in place.

The Graflok design includes the ground-glass frame held on with spring clips, and the two tabs to lock into those slots. The "standard" only requires that the tabs be positioned in a particular way.

Note that the Graflok tabs must be open for the ground glass frame to seat properly.

Rick "it's only confusing the first time" Denney

Buggz. I have and use a Fuji PA 45 film holder with with Fuji FP100c45 the 4x5 version of the film. It works without a problem. I slide it into my graphlock back without an issue and it mounts to the camera with not issue. You should have no problem and your set up should work fine. I have a limited quantity of this film and recent check of googleland indicates you can still buy film. But as I understand it Fuji has discontinued making or shipping the 4x5 size to the US. You can verify that in other threads about the available products. The Polaroid 405 holder is an alternative to the very hard to find Fuji PA 145 holder designed to work with the smaller size FP100c pack film. By comparison the small size film is about 60 cents a shot. It has some draw backs but would allow for test shots. But it is clear from working with the camera and graphlock back and film holder that these were not designed to go together. Hopefully the Fuji holder will work but I am doubtful which is surprising since most of Sinar gear is somewhat the "standard" if there is one. But when these were all designed know one could have envisioned a day when 4x5 film would be unavailable and when you would be forced to use the smaller size with this camera set up. So hopefully the Fuji back will work. I have even considered taking the Polaroid down to the shop and cutting this tab down with the Dremil. It seems like all it needs is about 1/8 of an inch to let it clear the camera standard. When I get to my PC I will try to post some photos which I think will more clearly show the problem. Thanks to everyone for thinking about this.

Wow, I'm getting bummed about all the film is going away.
    I still wonder about my recent serious cash output on Sinar f2 type gear now.
    Though, I WILL use it as I've always wanted to learn this type of gear.
    Hopefully I will get to use it this week end with the instant film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1Wcomment.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	69273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	69274So back to my original question has anyone been successful using the Polaroid 405 film holder for the smaller FP100c 3x4 film with a Sinar F2? I have attached two images one showing the film holder and the offending part the other showing the conflict with the camera. I have tried switch to all the positions. Turing it vertical allows the holder to clear the Sinar standards but you cannot get the dark slide out. I am wondering if I take this into the shop and cut the tab down, it looks like 1/8 or so might do it that it would work. It would no longer have value for a collector but I am trying to get working gear.

Quote Originally Posted by meirronaldi View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1Wcomment.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	69273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	69274So back to my original question has anyone been successful using the Polaroid 405 film holder for the smaller FP100c 3x4 film with a Sinar F2? I have attached two images one showing the film holder and the offending part the other showing the conflict with the camera. I have tried switch to all the positions. Turing it vertical allows the holder to clear the Sinar standards but you cannot get the dark slide out. I am wondering if I take this into the shop and cut the tab down, it looks like 1/8 or so might do it that it would work. It would no longer have value for a collector but I am trying to get working gear.
    That's not what I was visualizing from your first post. I don't know what to suggest other than your approaching of using a grinder. Can you determine the purpose of that tab? I don't have a 405 (though I'm in the market) and it's been 35 years since I used one.

Rick "who last used a 405 with Type 55 (er--665 or whatever) on a Linhof Kardan Color in maybe 1976" Denney