Thread: Anyone use a Peak Lupe

Anyone use a Peak Lupe

I was lucky again. I found a Peak 7X Scale Lupe in a cool maroon velvet lined leather case and PEAK Cleaning cloth. It came with 7 little glass filters and they have various scales and markings in them. It looks like a nice loupe. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever used a Peak lupe. I have never heard of them. I did Google but wanted to hear from some actual users. BTW I paid $10 bucks for it, and a person named LOU Young has marked the box with his name and dated it as 1/12/69 (the year I was born ;. An omen if I ever saw one. Funny how little things like that affects you.

Re: Anyone use a Peak Lupe

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    Funny how little things like that affect you.
    So true – I’ve never bragged about my relatively inexpensive Peak 4x loupe, but since it has always been one of the stars of my 4x5 kit, it deserves some belated praise...

Neither too little magnification, nor too much – 4x is just right for my needs!

The loupe’s adjustable focus is convenient & it has a generous 45mm x 45mm view.

The square base means that it slides & fits snugly into my Tachi’s GG corners. In the photo below, you’ll notice two skirts. One would use the black skirt for the GG. I’ve never used the translucent skirt, which would be useful if, say, you’re inspecting prints.

The neck strap makes “dropping” the loupe – and finding it – easy when I’m busy w/ camera movements.

You can find these new for under $100 – seems their price keeps rising fast from year to year, but it’s still a good buy for what you get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peak 4x.jpg  

Lachlan 717

I use a (seemingly) more modern Peak Loupe. It's a 4x model with square base, allowing good access to the GG corners.

I recently recommended these to another shooter, so I must be happy with it!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Peak makes several different loupes. All the ones I've seen are of quite decent quality.

The round ones are designed for inspection of small features, generally in a manufacturing environment.
    They have interchangeable scales for measuring dimensions, including linear, angular, and radial.

The rectangular-based ones are meant for viewing slides on a light box. They're useful for GG focusing as well.

I have a couple of each type, and they've served me well for a number of years.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.