Thread: Possible lenses

Possible lenses

Hi,

I'm undertaking a project to build my own large format camera and I was wondering whether anyone here could point me towards some relatively cheap lenses (preferably integrate the shutter release as well)

Thank you very much

Re: Possible lenses

For example does this have the shutter included ?
    https://secure.peterwalnes.com/compo...mart/Itemid,1/

I know these may seem stupid questions but I saw some posts saying some lenses require separate shutter mechanisms

There is a glut of 210mm lenses out there mounted in modern copal shutters. I have seen a lot of real nice ones on Ebay go for less than $200.00. Of course you can pick up 135's, 150's and 180's reasonable also.

The 150mm that you are looking at is mounted on a Sinar DB board so there is no shutter included. To use DB boards with shutter you need a Sinar Shutter.

Old press lenses in good shutters thaat wil cover 4x5 can be had for under $50 if you're patient. Don't expect any wiggle room though. You can also scavenge lens & shutter off old Polaroids or (izzit the No. 3?) box cameras
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    You can also scavenge lens & shutter off old Polaroids or (izzit the No. 3?) box cameras
    Folding Pocket Kodak. #3s typically have 5" or 5 1/4" lenses, #3As typically 6 3/4" or 7 1/4" lenses. IMO, the best lenses sold with these cameras are f/6.3ers engraved Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat, Zeiss Tessar (Zeiss lenses from Jena), and B&L Tessar Ser. IIb Not as inexpensive as they used to be. Older ones are in Compound shutters. Another possibility on #3As is the 170/7.7 Kodak Anastigmat, same design as the 203/7.7 Ektar; thse are usually in Ilex shutters.

And count on having to overhaul the shutter. Avoid lenses in the Kodak Ball Bearing Shutter.

These old crocks -- one usually has to buy a camera to get the lens -- aren't as inexpensive as they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Old press lenses in good shutters thaat wil cover 4x5 can be had for under $50 if you're patient. Don't expect any wiggle room though. You can also scavenge lens & shutter off old Polaroids or (izzit the No. 3?) box cameras
    I picked up a Tominon 75mm f/4.5 this way and dropped a 150mm f/9 G-Claron into the shutter. I just have to double the f# when setting the aperture on the shutter. It should work the same way with the 150mm f5.6 Symmar you were looking at. The only down side is that the larges aperture you could get on the shutter is f/9 so you would not have the full benefit of the lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaroid-MP-...item53e95d86c5

For old press lenses I have had god result with a 127mm f/4.5 Ysaron. There is enough image circle for modest movements for landscape shots.
    Last edited by Edward (Halifax,NS); 25-Feb-2012 at 06:05. Reason: To add link

As you're in the UK try visiting a camera fair, there's one in April in Wolverhampton, usually some reasonably priced lenses, £7 got me a mint 203mm f7.7 Ektar in a good Prontor SVS shutter

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by photographymax View Post
    For example does this have the shutter included ?
    https://secure.peterwalnes.com/compo...mart/Itemid,1/

I know these may seem stupid questions but I saw some posts saying some lenses require separate shutter mechanisms
    A Sinaron DB lens, does not have a shutter.