Thread: recommendation for ND filters

recommendation for ND filters

I plan to shoot portraits f4.5 wide open out door with iso 100/125/160 film. The shutter is copal 3. I am looking to buy one or two ND filters. Should I buy square filter or round ones? Multicoated or single coating or no coating? Since I plan to shoot color, I prefer no color shift. Is there any brand to avoid?
    So far I was thinking one 3 stop ND. Since I can live with 1/30s to 1/125s, any suggestions?

Re: recommendation for ND filters

IMO, "multicoated filters" are a gimmick. Use a good lenshood with either way you go, and you won't need to worry about it.

scope out your budget, then look at the options. I recommend B+W or Heliopan if you go for a screw-in filter(s). I decided to splurge on a 77mm polarizer from Heliopan(a whopping $20 shipped , it was used, but in LN condition) a few years ago, and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

-Dan

"Buy the best, and cry once."

The advantages to top-grade filters (B+W and Heliopan first and maybe Hoya HCM filters second) is that they will be color-neutral, and they are coated (which I think is a huge advantage, especially when working in the field in all kinds of glancing and backlight, or with the sun in the field of view). With B+W and Heliopan you get brass rings, which will not stick in the threads like aluminum rings will (Hoya).

For me, when working outdoors, I like to keep the amount of clutter to a minimum. Filter holders, adapters, big pouches full of square filters, etc. fall into this category for me. YMMV.

BTW, if you've got a polarizer, you've already got a 1 1/3 stop ND filter... If you have two, you can stack them to form a "variable ND filter." Determining exposure for this might be a bit trickier though (I read through with a spot meter).

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com