Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does LF format film behave the same?

Re: Does LF format film behave the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Do you think it’s safe to say that 90% of what I know about how my favorite films behave will hold true and that I'll learn the rest as I go? ...I’m the kind of guy who likes to study up and get his ducks in a row before trying something new.
    When comparing the behavior of a single emulsion in different formats, it’s easy to forget all the variables that can sneak up on you and complicate even careful efforts.

For example, are you using the same meter for each format? If not, what happens if, say, your 35mm film camera’s meter is 2/3 a stop different than your Pentax spot meter?

Calibrate. Test. Take notes! The more you do, the more you’ll best your “90%.”

Better: just get out there, shoot, develop, print, examine your results, and adapt to the differences you think are important – if you see any.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    When comparing the behavior of a single emulsion in different formats, it’s easy to forget all the variables that can sneak up on you and complicate even careful efforts.
    Absolutely, as I mentioned in post #5 above.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Leigh included this generally, but it's worth a specific mention:

Roll-film formats are often developed in different tanks using different agitation techniques than sheet-film formats. Even if both are processed in, say, a Jobo 2500-series tank, the roll-film will sit differently in the developer than the sheet film, and respond differently to agitation.

That said, I always got very nearly the same results processing (old) Ilford FP-4 in 120 format in a Nikor tank with inversion agitation, versus 4x5 sheet film on hangers processed in deep tanks. Both were processed in HC-110 dilution B (which allowed a bit more time). I conclude that any differences will be subtle. But some people chase those subtleties to an extreme degree, so whether the OP sees a difference will depend on his tolerance for subtleties.

Rick "who never though his photography would be improved by putting all his energies into development subtleties" Denney

The only soup I've used to process at long development times is Rodinal. But, since Rodinal isn't made by Agfa anymore I use either Fomadon R09 or Adox APH 09.
    Dilute 1:200 for long development time, I find it seems to work best with low ISO films such as Pan F Plus or FP4 Plus. I've still got a stash of APX 100 and works well.

My 2 cents. Let's see probably doesn't cost me 2 cents to develop a medium format roll of film at this high dilution!

When I used large format I used print trays and a Grab Lab Timer!

Have a great week.