Thread: Telyt 280 mm for large format?

Telyt 280 mm for large format?

What do you think about this lens to do LF?

The seller said that lens cover 4 x 5 even more.

Any advice will be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220845293799...84.m1438.l2648

Telyt 280 mm for large format?

Hi

I'm interested to get this lens for LF.
    Is it interesting for portrait set up?

Any advise will be appreciated

Thank you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220845293799...84.m1438.l2648
    Last edited by norm the storm; 19-Feb-2012 at 06:27. Reason: omission

Re: Telyt 280 mm for large format?

In the early years some of the telephoto lenses for 35mm Leicas would cover larger formats, because Leica optics for those formats were mounted in barrels for 35mm with no other change. Leica has specialized in 35mm equipment since then. Even if the 280mm Leica lens does illuminate a 4x5 negative, I would expect image quality to be concentrated on an area closer to 24x36mm. Also, a big heavy lens protruding so far puts quite a strain on a shutter body.

Given the size of the film I would suggest something like a 300mm APO Ronar as an alternative. It is a really compact lens and even though is marketed as a process lens its performance at infinity is excellent. My version is both sharp and contrasty. It should work well for portraits.

Well, there is no shutter, right?

This lens may well work. A friend says that the 135mm Elmars would cover 4x5 and could be made to work on a press camera with focal plane shutter.

Another option would be the Wollensak Tele-Optars in 10 inch (250mm) and 15 inch (380mm) that I see on E-Bay. They are sharp and were designed to cover the format. Some are barrel mounted and some have shutters. They are reasonable in price and perform well.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have this lens. It's a tele design and I don't think it cover 4X5, I never try. I have a Leica 135mm f/4.5Hektor, this lens can cover 4X5 in rich color. My other 135mm Elmarit and Tele Elmar sure not cover 4X5.

IMHO teles aren't worth the frustration if you plan on using any movements. In fact I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have done some out-of-the-box things with optical pieces and photo-sensitive materials . . . .and I am still open to strange ideas, but: In my experience, most DIY projects are only viable if the pieces are both high quality/high specification and available at a very low cost.

In the early 1990s, I bought ten oscilloscope cameras for the lenses (75mm/f1.9 Oscillo-Paragons in Ilex #3 shutters) at $10 each. I broke down the cameras and sold most of the lenses at swap meets and camera shows for $40-$50 each. I still have two that I use for 1:1 close ups. Today, these cameras are offered for ~$200 even though no-one uses them for imaging oscilloscopes anymore . . . not a viable DIY element now.

There are better options in gear available for the kind imaging you want to do. For instance: The 15”/380mm Wollensak/Graflex Tele-Optars (15”/f5.6) were designed for 4x5 and are available today for ~ $200 or less . . . .in an Alphax #3 shutter. Schneider made similar lenses (Xenars and Xenotars) that sell for somewhat more.

If you feel that you must DIY, the simplest starting place is a spotting scope and a modified pinhole camera.

Please let us know what you do and how it works . . .post some shots.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!