Thread: Deardorff 4x5 special - tripod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Deardorff 4x5 special - tripod

Hi,

I'm about to buying a Deardorff 4x5 special. Any thoughts?
    Cause on the web I can't find so much.
    I was thinking also about a Wisner, but I really don't like the aesthetic (I care about that).

I was wondering which good tripod I could buy for that camera.
    I would like to spent maximum about 350 usd.

Thanks a lot

Francesco

Re: Deardorff 4x5 special - tripod

I'm not sure why you find the aesthetics of the Deardorff that much different than a 4x5 Wisner (Tech Field, Expedition, etc.) and there's usually a big price difference (the Specials that show up on ebay seem to cost at least twice what a Wisner costs these days). But ignoring that, it would help if you said something about the kind of photography you do. You probably could get by with a less expensive tripod if most of your work is in a studio or maybe in urban settings rather than out in the woods and wilderness.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I'm not sure why you find the aesthetics of the Deardorff that much different than a 4x5 Wisner (Tech Field, Expedition, etc.) and there's usually a big price difference (the Specials that show up on ebay seem to cost at least twice what a Wisner costs these days). But ignoring that, it would help if you said something about the kind of photography you do. You probably could get by with a less expensive tripod if most of your work is in a studio or maybe in urban settings rather than out in the woods and wilderness.

I know, this thing about the aesthetic sounds a bit crazy. I guess is that shiny gold that I really can't stand..I hate it.

For the tripod, my problem is that with this camera I will shoot in every situation, from the studio to the field (urban and wild).

So..I have no idea which tripod could be good at that price.

Thanks,

Francesco

I was looking at the Berlebach 2042.

I had a tripod for 35mm and medium format that I could use to shoot from above switching the center column from vertical to horizontal.

Is there a tripod which let me do that with a 5x7 camera?

Thanks

Deardorff Sales and service

Quote Originally Posted by Fra View Post
    I was looking at the Berlebach 2042.

I had a tripod for 35mm and medium format that I could use to shoot from above switching the center column from vertical to horizontal.

Is there a tripod which let me do that with a 5x7 camera?

Thanks
    You remove the back. Turn it 90degrees. Thats how you go from Horz. to Vert.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeardorffGuy View Post
    You remove the back. Turn it 90degrees. Thats how you go from Horz. to Vert.

No, I didn't mean that.

I know how to shoot vertical and horizontal.

I was speaking about the tripod. With a manfrotto tripod that I had, I could switch the column of the tripod from vertical to horizontal.
    So I could use the camera as a sort of copy camera.

Actually I didn't mention that I already have a manfrotto head, I just need the legs.
    Thanks for the advices anyway

The problem with suggesting a tripod (by "tripod" I assume you mean legs and head, not just legs alone) is your $350 price tag for something suitable for the wide variety of the areas where you photograph. However, for light and inexpensive legs I'd suggest looking at the various Feisol tripods (the model I have is too light for your 5x7 camera but it's very well-made and cost a lot less than comparable carbon fiber tripods from Gitzo and others). For a relatively inexpensive head I'd suggest looking at something from Bogen/Manfrotto. The 3047 is a three-way head that would be fine for your Deardorff and doesn't cost much. For either the legs or the head you might look at used tripods on ebay and elsewhere. You'd get more for your money that way and there isn't much that can go wrong with a tripod that isn't obvious from a visual inspection.

My best suggestion though is to stretch your budget right to the breaking point and get the absolute best tripod you can possibly afford. Barring an accident you'll be using your tripod for many many years with every photograph you make. IMHO tripods (legs and heads) are something where you pretty much get what you pay for. For example, I've had a Bogen ball head and a Really Right Stuff ball head (neither were used for large format). The Really Right Stuff head is beautifully made, everything moves smoothly and precisely and so it's a pleasure to use. The build quality of the Bogen was fine but the ball was kind of sticky, which made it difficult get small movements exactly right and was therefore irritating to use. Not to say $350 isn't enough, just that spending a little more might get you something a lot better.

Sorry but I don't know anything about Berlebachs or your center column question.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Deardorff Sales and service

Quote Originally Posted by Fra View Post
    Hi,

I'm about to buying a Deardorff 4x5 special. Any thoughts?
    Cause on the web I can't find so much.
    I was thinking also about a Wisner, but I really don't like the aesthetic (I care about that).

I was wondering which good tripod I could buy for that camera.
    I would like to spent maximum about 350 usd.

Thanks a lot

Francesco
    Did you see my site? Ken
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

I'm usuing a Wista-built Zone VI on a light-ish carbon fiber tripod. The Wista is petite and lightweight, as is the tripod . .My back and arthritic hip appreciate that. If I am doing a public demonstration or posing for a picture with my gear, I put it on a Burleighbach wooden tripod. I find this to be a heavy and awkward kit to use in the field—but it sure does look good together.

The Deardorff is a great camera, but get it for what it does, not what it looks like. A Burk & James or Ansco look great when refinished and are so much less than the Deardorff too. The extra money can go towards great glass, the most important part of a photographer’s kit.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!