Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Century 7 - my newest friend

Re: Century 7 - my newest friend

I think a platform style stand is the only way to go because of the extension system.
    I have a classic stand for my Century, but (regretably) have 2 other studio cameras without stands!
    I am in the process of making a modification to the cross arm of a pedestal type modern studio stand (pole with 3 flat feet). These have a heavy duty clamp for large (Sinar) 8x10 cameras. Extra clamps are difficult to get hold of (and expensive) and perhaps not up the the weight of these wooden cameras anyway.
    What I am planning is to do is to bore a hole through both edges of the round side arm and mount an Al/Mg plate and a wooden platform. This is rather like the later Deardorff camera base design. The other side of the arm can still be used at the same time for the original clamp. The removable table can also be used for computer and future technological marvels for large and medium format. Up and down is easy, but tilt would have to a system of inserting wooden distance pieces.
    These cameras sit very nicely on the back seat of a car and I am looking for a collapsable (perhaps not the right word!) hobby work table which can allow me to "go walkabout/driveabout" with these cameras ( and, more importantly) their associated lenses.

You know the saying "they don't make 'em like they used to"? It's so true and despite the knocks here and there, that is a wonderful looking piece of kit. It'll scrub up great!

Whenever I use my studio cameras I can't help but think: here I am using a 90+ year-old piece of gear that for all intents and purposes works as well as the day it was made; try THAT with your digital camera in 90 years!

Jonathan

My question is, is it possible to determine production date from the ser, number? I have a Century 4 # 70320.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

On Michael's camera, the metal plate on the lower left side of the front standard, is the mount for a Photogenic vignette holder. Mine has it also.
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I have seen that on a few cameras and wondered what it was. I am guessing that it is factory original?

I am curious about the "vignette holder" metal mounting plate as well. My camera has this exact thing and I have wondered for quite a while was it was for.

Does anyone have a photo of this vignetting device attached to the camera?

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    I have seen that on a few cameras and wondered what it was. I am guessing that it is factory original?
    It's an aftermarket add-on, likely installed by the camera dealer.
    Kinda like undercoating & floormats at the car dealer.
    Mine has a box of vignette cards too!
    I'll shoot some pics of it. (after I clean it up)
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Mine has a box of vignette cards too!
    Somehow that makes me jealous.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    My question is, is it possible to determine production date from the ser, number? I have a Century 4 # 70320.
    Hi david

I would say your camera was made in or around 1907-08. Keep in mind this is not from an " official serial # list" but this is how I came to this date.

1st) Century Camera Co was bought out by Eastman Kodak in 1907 so if your camera has Eastman Kodak / Folmer & Schwing or any mention of Eastmans Kodak Co. name it can be narrowed down to after 1907.

Take a look at the last year Century was it's own man. The Century Professional Catalog of 1906 ..

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/cata...nturylp253.htm

Just for the fun here is the 2nd or 3rd 1909 Professional Eastman Catalog featuring Century Professional Cameras and accessories.

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/cata...nturylp253.htm

And here's a link to all the catalogs on the site"Wooden Field Cameras of the United States: 1870's-1930's". A terrific resource!

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogsall.htm

2nd) My Century #7 Camera/Stand have a serial #68.709 and it has the Tag on the stand That reads { Century "Made by" Eastman Kodak Co "Successor to" The Century Camera Co. Rochester N.Y.}. So it was probably made in towards the end of 1907 or the beginning of 1908. So your being less than 2000 cameras behind mine puts it in the same range.

As well as that, my 8a/2a (w/ serial #72.232) has the ID Tags on both camera and stand that look like all the tags after the takeover. I would guess this one was made in 1908-09. The ID tag on the stand reads{2a Semi-Centennial Stand "made by' Eastman Kodak Co. Folmer & Schwing Dept. Rochester N.Y.}.

Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1189.jpg