Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monorail cameras question?

Re: Monorail cameras question?

Quote Originally Posted by Łukasz Owsianka View Post
    I will be in studio. But not in my studio - I love my Globica but camera with stand is huge... So I need something that I could put in case and carry in hands (I am traveling by train).
    Sinar used to make a gray hard plastic suitcase for the F series cameras. Carrying a Sinar F2 in one of these cases would work great on a train. It would also really protect your gear.

Les

Allow me to chime in....I just saw this thread. I saw a Sinar F2 on sale just few days ago for $299 .... when I was getting my lens fluid at Galzer's...that is if you are interested. PM me and I could check the size of the rail and try to address whatever questions you may have.

Les

As others mention there are many possible monorails you could consider. There are many inexpensive choices, some heavier than others. A buddy got a Cambo for maybe $150 but it weighs almost 20 pounds. It can be carried by car easy but is not going on a hike.

I have an Arca-Swiss Discovery. Awesome camera. Great movements and with a few accessories packable on a hike. Very modular but pricey.

See more about it in both words and pictures on my blog linked in my signature line.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

I bought a 5 x 7 Linhof Kardan Bi in around 1971 and rigged up a carrier that would fit a rigid pack frame - I once actually cross-country skied with it on my back and I carried it up and down a lot of hills at one time or another -not terribly light, but not all that much heavier than the Technika's of the period. Have to admit that the skiing was a bit tense as I wanted to make sure that if I fell the camera would fall on top of me and not the other way around.

These days I work closer to the car, but it isn't because the camera got heavier - more because I got heavier.

If I recall correctly the Bi was the first Linhof to offer both base and center tilt - it used to be that if you liked base tilt you went with Sinar and if you liked center tilt you went with Linhof. I think it was also the first Linhof that used light alloys.

It is a beautiful camera to work with (as is the Sinar) - very precise. In fact more precise than you really need for field work (with the possible exception of architectural photography.) I don't think they were ever as common in the US as in Europe.

Since travel is part of the OP's m.o., I'd suggest a Linhof Technikardan, if price is not a big factor.
    It's very solid, as a monorail should be, but also folds into a space only slightly larger than that needed for an average-size folder.
    Also very well-made, like all Linhofs, and lightweight.