Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monorail cameras question?

Re: Monorail cameras question?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Sorry, Rick, but the Normas all have base tilts.
    D'oh! Yes. Typo on my part. The U-frame followers are rigid and don't provide tilt. But the Norma is not yaw-free--the tilt axis is still above the swing axis. The F and P put the tilt axis below the swing axis, making it yaw-free. Not that being yaw-free is all that important to most people.

Rick "fingers ahead of brain" Denney

I own a Sinar P which I bought to use mostly for portraiture. It's heavy, all geared and fun to use. Oh, and did I say it's heavy?

If you plan on carrying it any distance from your vehicle I would recommend the Sinar F2 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Łukasz Owsianka View Post
    Hi,

I decided that I need a monorail 4x5 camera. I would like to buy a used premium or high end model because the prices are low and maybe I can get a bargain. Please tell me something about the range of Linhof, Sinar and Arca Swiss - with camera are entry level, standard, premium or high end models.
    What kind of pictures are you planning on taking? Will you be in a studio? Working out of the trunk of a car? Or back packing?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    What kind of pictures are you planning on taking? Will you be in a studio? Working out of the trunk of a car? Or back packing?
    I will be in studio. But not in my studio - I love my Globica but camera with stand is huge... So I need something that I could put in case and carry in hands (I am traveling by train).

Also Rick, I have never considered my Alpina an oddity and it does have a 6" extension rail.

Roger "who is deeply hurt by Ricks Alpina comment" Thoms

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Also Rick, I have never considered my Alpina an oddity and it does have a 6" extension rail.

Roger "who is deeply hurt by Ricks Alpina comment" Thoms
    Oddity in the sense that you don't see them often. Hey, I called the X and C models oddities, too.

But there's no denying that an Alpina would fit in a highly portable case even more easily than an F or F2. Sinar's case for it required the standards to be turned on their sides, but it's briefcase size. The case I use is the same size as smaller monorail cases and hangs the camera upside down on the rail. It holds a lot of stuff, and it's pretty easy to carry as luggage for train travel. A P would want a bigger case, probably, and it would be heavier.

Rick "whose collection mostly comprises oddities" Denney

I picked up my Toyo GII with extension rail, regular and bag bellows, some lens boards, and a case for $350. Watch ebay and you should find a deal pretty quickly.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Octogenarian

As the OP mentioned in post #14, he needs a camera that he can transport easily,and use in a studio environment.

He should be looking for a folding flat bed camera like a 4x5 Linhof Tech, Toyo A, Wista, etc. instead of a monorail.

Just be sure the camera he chooses has the movements he needs.

Plenty of monorails fold compactly and are easy to transport. In fact the very lightest 4x5 cameras, like the Toho and Gowland, are monorails. And the well-regarded Arca-Swiss is more than competitive with less versatile and less capable folding field cameras like the Ebony.

Even some of the traditional Sinars-Toyos-Linhofs are not that heavy or bulky. A Sinar F2 in normal configuration is only 7 lbs and only a few inches taller than a wooden folder.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Toyo-View 45C, CX, and maybe the Arca Swiss "Discovery" model. I'm not familiar with the movements available on the Arca but the Toyo's have full movements.

Thomas