Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VC Cover Photo

VC Cover Photo

How about including one historical portfolio with each issue? I think part of the reason that many readers may find new work unrewarding is that they don't always see the work in its context. A portraiture issue, for instance, might include a piece on Nadar or Hurrell or perhaps a thematic piece that looks at the development of portraiture over time from other media, such as painting and sculpture. A "mixed bag" issue could include one nineteenth-century photographer as a general practice. Before rollfilm it's all large format, so it wouldn't detract from the magazine's mission. _Black and White Photography_ (UK) does a regular two-page segment of this sort, and I think it works well.

VC Cover Photo

Jorge,

Thanks for letting us know about the magazine I mentioned in the post above...I didn't realize it had come out in a previous incarnation. Also, thanks for the website.

Steve... Clyde Butcher's work is of special interest to me but I realize you had an article on him not too long ago. Tim's list is a pretty thorough one and I like the idea of David's recommendation for Hurrell too.

It would also be great to have a column on "using the VC" for newbies. The current Black & White magazine has a four part series on this very subject matter...but it would be great to see more instructive articles.

I also enjoy reading some of the reviews that you've published in the past...very informative.

Also in Black & White magazine...they have a regular section whereby they invite viewers to submit prints for publication that demonstrate and discuss their printing techniques. It's interesting to see how much burning/dodging/toning etc goes into a final print. Again, this is another area of interest that I'm sure many users would appreciate seeing.

Other than these comments... I have to say that I look forward to purchasing VC along with B&W and Camera Arts. Michael K's comment in terms of improving things for "all concerned" is poignant and "bang on!"

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

VC Cover Photo

Steve, How about articles on Kerik Kouklis, Carl Weese, Jan Pietrzak and David Michael Kennedy with portfolios.

VC Cover Photo

Paul,

As usual, your observations are accurate. As a working pro, (as you are), who knows color, (and you do!), this cover shot probably made your teeth hurt. H.W.K. would pan us royally for this one.

Sorry Mr. Kay, (the cover photog), but not my cup o' tea. However, I do find you other images very good.

As for the balance of images in this issue: Art Becker's "Eyeglasses" is great. Tracy Longley-Cook's images make a compelling portfolio. Bart Michiels's series needs some explaination. Are they supposed to be as thin & gray as they printed? Or was the reproduction just really badly done? To think that I wrote a "Letter to the Editor", a while back, in praise of their fine reproduction standards. Not this time.

VC Cover Photo

I would like to see something on handheld graphic photography, or any large format hand-held stuff. Maybe something on the press photogs of yesterday, a historical portfolio, when they were using graphic cameras. I would be quite interested in something like that. The current issue did show Art Becker's and some of his hand held work, but I would really like to hear about how it used to be done. I did love all of the issues with lens articles written by Kerry Thalman. All in all, I really love the magazine and will continue to subscribe. Thanks VC

VC Cover Photo

Steve, I have suggested this before: one issue/year devoted to and entirely produced by the new generation ,recent graduates from photography programmes. Thanks for your concerns.

VC Cover Photo

Here's what I would like from VC: I would like notification BEFORE my subscription expires that my subscription is ABOUT TO EXPIRE. I never want to get a "Here's what you're missing..." (by the way this is tantamount to blaming the reader) notice in the mail (again) without first receiving a warning that my subscription will soon run out.

VC Cover Photo

Thanks for your responses.

We usually do send at least one renewal notice before the subscription runs out. We will try and be a little earlier with these from now on.

Ron Rosenstock is going to start a series on his most famous photos, how he made them and how he prints them. This will be a real step by step article with one image per issue for the next several issues. I am not sure if we can get it started for the Jan/Feb issue but certainly by March/April.

We will start a series on setting up and using a view camera for beginners. This will be in the Jan/Feb issue.

We will go through the list of photographers. Jan Pietrzk (SP?) is on the list for next year. He will also be a presenter at the conference in Monterey in April.

Happy Thanksgiving

steve

VC Cover Photo

I would be interested in insight into the logistics and business methods of working photographers, especially those who do fine art and landscape work. This is not a topic that is usually covered by mainstream photography magazine, and therefore a good occasion for View Camera to distinghish itself. Many readers of this magazine are serious enough about photography that they are not very far from marketing their images or already do. Many are interested in fine art and landscape work. The magazines that are specifically targetted to the professional (like PDN) have little about those specialties.

VC Cover Photo

I would be interested in insight into the logistics and business methods of working photographers, especially those who do fine art and landscape work. This is not a topic that is usually covered by mainstream photography magazine, and therefore a good occasion for View Camera to distinghish itself. Many readers of this magazine are serious enough about photography that they are not very far from marketing their images or already do. Many are interested in fine art and landscape work. The magazines that are specifically targetted to the professional (like PDN) have little about those specialties.

--QT Luong, 2003-11-26 14:00:17

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We are working on an article about online galleries for the Feb/March issue of CameraArts. We also have some submissions from photographers whop appear to be in the calendar business. We will work on this suggestion.

steve