View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 182 of 299 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2986

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    Don't know what I'm doing with LF, really cannot afford much film, might spring for a box of Arista from Freestyle. It looks like the last film available for less than $1 a shot. Better buy some now before the price goes up. I really want to develop a workflow for photo paper, a lot cheaper for knock off shots and you can work under safelight! Of course, come to think of it, it's not like you are racking off 36 shots like you do with a miniature camera, it could take quite awhile to *carefully* expose 50 sheets.
    I just ordered a box of 5X7 B&W Shanghai film. Really. EBay. They also have 4X5.

I hate 36 to 40 shots on 35mm, I really prefer 24 shots. After 24 I want to change film, develop and it doesn't droop on the floor.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I just ordered a box of 5X7 B&W Shanghai film. Really. EBay. They also have 4X5.

I hate 36 to 40 shots on 35mm, I really prefer 24 shots. After 24 I want to change film, develop and it doesn't droop on the floor.
    Randy,

Let me know how you like this 5x7 Chinese film. I've read that it's fragile stuff. I assume the back is thin. Of all the film I process in my internship at a black and white lab, I can't stand the film that is thin, and too flexible. I'm willing to pay more for higher quality film.

I don't like rolls of twenty four, as they trick me into thinking that I've accidentally cut the end of the roll off when working with them in the dark. I'm used to feeling how a roll of thirty six fits on a metal reel and moves so that I know it has been loaded properly. As for the film drooping on the floor, raise your arms higher. ;-) My film seems to stay tightly wound unless it is old.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    Hmm. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding here. When you invested in this particular Kickstarter your money was no longer your money when the project was funded. At that point the money was put to work building a camera, but it was no longer "your" money. Now, if everything worked out then you stood to gain a camera. If it didn't work out you stood to gain nothing. That is part of the risks of investing in these type of projects.

So, at some point you will get a camera in the mail, or you will get a notice that says the project is bankrupt and no goodies will be distributed. However, if the 2nd option develops, you will not pass GO, nor will you collect your $200.

Now, I think most of us would prefer option #1. I do not want them to finally go completely bankrupt trying to send out a few pinholes to a few people who believe that it would a good "customer service" gesture.

Besides, you are not a customer, you are an investor. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy?
    Actually, I'm not an investor - I AM a customer. I gave them $100, and was promised a specific product in return. Granted, with a delayed delivery date. An investor gives someone $100, and at some point is given a share of the profits, plus the ability to get their initial investment back, should the company be profitable. Should the company go bankrupt, of course, you lose all your money. Your model would have it that if I invested $35,000 in Ford Motor Company, I would get a new Mustang Convertible at some point in the future, and upon delivery of the car, my relationship with Ford is ended. Read the Kickstarter rules and regulations https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq...ics?ref=footer for more information about how Kickstarter works.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Actually, I'm not an investor - I AM a customer. I gave them $100, and was promised a specific product in return. Granted, with a delayed delivery date. An investor gives someone $100, and at some point is given a share of the profits, plus the ability to get their initial investment back, should the company be profitable. Should the company go bankrupt, of course, you lose all your money. Your model would have it that if I invested $35,000 in Ford Motor Company, I would get a new Mustang Convertible at some point in the future, and upon delivery of the car, my relationship with Ford is ended. Read the Kickstarter rules and regulations https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq...ics?ref=footer for more information about how Kickstarter works.
    But you're not a customer. You're a backer. It's a bit more like a public TV pledge drive. In this case, your reward should the project work out, is a camera. Granted you've got a bit more at stake than if you sent money to your local PBS affiliate, but the structure is similar. You're also a bit of an Angel investor. No guarantee of a return.

To think otherwise is a severe misunderstanding of the Kickstarter model.

Everyone is a champion, a proponent, a hero of sorts, because you helped bring something into existence by your support.

It was heartening to see the large format community come together to help in designing this camera. Many people contributed ideas to help make this project a reality.

Our ability to shape the world through crowdfunding, that's what is so exciting. We can build film cameras for a small number of people. We can bring back film products that have been abandoned like the NEW55 project is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    Don't know what I'm doing with LF, really cannot afford much film, might spring for a box of Arista from Freestyle. It looks like the last film available for less than $1 a shot. Better buy some now before the price goes up. I really want to develop a workflow for photo paper, a lot cheaper for knock off shots and you can work under safelight! Of course, come to think of it, it's not like you are racking off 36 shots like you do with a miniature camera, it could take quite awhile to *carefully* expose 50 sheets.
    I do quite well buying film on eBay. I buy a lot of expired film and have had very good experience. I buy only from sellers with very high feed back and high volume. I picked up 158 envelopes of quick and ready load in about 5 emulsions. I paid 125.00 for the lot, plus $25 shipping. The seller was high volume in photographic stuff and 99 plus positive feed back. I've been doing this for some years now and my film costs are extremely low. The reason I insist on high numbers for sales and good feedback is assurance that the film was refrigerated. Very happy with this practice.

Some people are still whining?

Good grief. I knew there was a chance it would run into roadblocks that stopped it, but I wagered $100 anyway. I'm glad I did. I can wait. I have other cameras. Eventually I'll get one of these and that will be very cool.

Yes Roger, people are still complaining.

I agree with you. Obviously most of us knew there was no guarantee that we'd ever see anything but a wild ride, but there are a still "customers" floating about.

Maybe there should be a huge flashing yellow banner on top of the Kickstarter page that says; Nothing is Guaranteed!

Ah well. It really doesn't matter. Based on the updates it does appear we are beginning to arrive at the end of the tunnel. It does appear that a camera will be coming in due time.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Larry and everyone,

While we would all have wanted our cameras on time, working out of the box, Murphy's law prevailed, or maybe it wasn't meant to be. Whatever! I for one have had a great time through the evolution of this product. What an opportunity to glean new knowledge and to be part of an episode in life that is bigger than ourselves. We bought into a journey for a $100 and what a ride its been. It's gonna happen sooner or later and then we'll all be members of special group - "the Wanders", all carrying our cult value cameras firing at will, to the dismay of doting bystanders. That said, I hope we get them by Intl. pinhole photography day in late April. If not then I will do what others before me have done - make my own, smarter for what I have learned

Happy trails,
    SteveP

Well let's see how many people are truly dissatisfied. I'd be willing to pay someone $115 for their spot in line (if it's allowed). Let's see how many offers I get offering a 15% return on your money. Not as good as the market but better than a savings account. If I do happen to get multiple offers I'll random number them and pull them out of a hat. If I get none then we know that whining is about.

Three years is nothing for a project like this, especially since both sides were relatively inexperienced bringing a product like this to market. Would be willing to bet that the next Wanderlust project goes a bit smoother, assuming they have the energy to get out of bed after this is done.