View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 185 of 299 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2986

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Fascinating but I'll see how smooth the focusing is before applying anything to the helical. With all the trouble the helical has caused, I wonder if Ben and Justin wish they had just shipped out a fixed focal length 65mm version.

I can't wait until we all have our cameras and can go out shooting. It's going to happen some day.
    Seems to me that in the worst case scenario, wouldn't it be easy to seal the helical and go to a fixed focal length 90mm. This might be a good reason to pony up a bit of money to also get another couple of the helicals that did not work out?

I'm anticipating success, but all would not be lost if one had to surrender and carry two fixed length camera's...a 90 and a 65. I pledged for two camera's and would not be opposed to the two camera solution I am proposing here, both fixed focus.

Am I missing something here as to why this might not work if needed to solve a problem?

Pretty happy with the helical on my cheapy Holga…

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    If they were that close they would be sending an address confirmation survey to all backers. If they haven't nailed down the helical yet then.........
    It still takes time to not only run the parts, but they have to work with the shop to get an open slot in which to run them.

No news is simply no news...

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    They may know by now if they have indeed found a solution. Whether the answer is yes.....or even if it is no, they should share it with the backers.
    When I moisture conditioned the helical, it swelled to the point where it couldn't be turned. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but we're re-running a few samples of the helical with a different Nylon which absorbs less water. If those samples have better dimensional stability, we'll run 1500. We'll have an update once we have a date for that sample run (should be later this week or next week).

Good to hear!
    Down here in the humid southeast it might make a difference. 100% humidity all day every day in the summers.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    When I moisture conditioned the helical, it swelled to the point where it couldn't be turned. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but we're re-running a few samples of the helical with a different Nylon which absorbs less water. If those samples have better dimensional stability, we'll run 1500. We'll have an update once we have a date for that sample run (should be later this week or next week).
    If the sample run do not have better dimensional stability is there a backup plan? Inquiring minds want to know.

I hope this question is not viewed as presumptuous or a challenge. I assure all I intend no such thing.

So, the moisture test was done with boiling water? If so, you heated the camera to 212 degrees fahrenheit, didn't you? Is this a fair test given that none of us will be boiling our cameras? How much moisture gain will there be on a 100% humid day? Would it be less than if the camera was boiled?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    So, the moisture test was done with boiling water? If so, you heated the camera to 212 degrees fahrenheit, didn't you? Is this a fair test given that none of us will be boiling our cameras? How much moisture gain will there be on a 100% humid day? Would it be less than if the camera was boiled?
    Well, the really frustrating thing about Nylon is that it takes a very long time for it to actually absorb moisture. So if you take a brand new part and put it in a normal room (50% Relative Humidity), it could take up to 150 days for it to reach "equilibrium." At that point you can measure the final size at 50% RH.

No one has time to wait that long, so the standard procedure is to do moisture "conditioning." There's an entire section in the material spec sheet with charts that help you simulate whatever RH you'd like. Based on the average thickness of the helical, the charts said that 5 hours in 212°F water would simulate the same percentage of water absorption as equilibrium at 100% RH.

So at least theoretically, that amount of swelling corresponds to a very brutal summer in Florida. The swelling is completely reversible by baking the part at low heat (150°F), but I'd rather avoid it. You don't want to tick off Floridians!

Nylon 12 should have pretty similar properties, but has far less absorption, so we're going to try that.

Hmm, but doesn't reaching equilibrium at 100% RH mean leaving the camera in brutal humidity for months? That just doesn't seem realistic, not with the way Floridians refrigerate, I mean, air condition, themselves.

I live without air conditioning in New York City, and have for seven years. The humidity gets brutal here, but somehow my guitars survive. I'm kind of obsessed with humidity, due to the fragility of Brazilian rosewood, and its tendency to crack, but I know that it takes a long time for wood to dry out, and a long time for it to absorb water, so my guitars have always been fine, as long as I humidify in the winter, and don't in the summer.

Accelerated exteme testing is the best way to develop products in reasonable time.

I worked in Product testing 30 years.

They are doing it right.
    Tin Can