Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compendium Hoods Compatible with the Arca Swiss 171 Frame?

Compendium Hoods Compatible with the Arca Swiss 171 Frame?

I am looking for a list of compendium hoods which are compatible with the arca swiss 171 frame. It would also be good to list the benefits price and downsides of each hood.

Cheers,

Marko

Re: Compendium Hoods Compatible with the Arca Swiss 171 Frame?

I have an Arca Swiss compendium hood. It's ok. It does not work well if you use grad filters as the filters are too big for it. Meaning the Lee filters or the Cokin P sized Singh Ray ones.

My take is the Lee system compendium might just be more useful and is much much cheaper.

Hope that helps

Using grad filters with the hood is very important for me. I am a little disappointed to hear that the arca hood is incompatible with them!

Hi,

I had also evalulated the pros and cons of Arca Swiss compendium hood vs. Lee hood and went with the Lee system:
    One of the (overlooked) advantages of the Lee hood is that it is very easy and quick to put it on and take it off due to the spring-loaded attachment mechanism as opposed to the screw-based mechanism (which is more time consuming) used by Arca. Also, the Lee hood is much cheaper compared to the Arca compendium hood. The third advantage is that the Lee hood could be used on any camera (multiple cameras, future cameras, etc.), not just on an Arca camera. So if you have multiple cameras or when (not if) you buy another one, you can still use the Lee hood.

I had posted a few pictures of the Lee hood setup with my Arca Swiss 4x5 camera in the following thread:
    "Looking for bellows lens shade - need recommendations!". See my posts #11 and #18 on this page:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=64593&page=2

// Atul

I have a version of Keith Canham's compendium that is made for the 171mm ARCA-SWISS. Nicely made and less expensive than the ARCA original.

I also have a smaller version of the Lee hood that fits the Cokin P size filter holder., but I've never used it with the ARCA. It's small, light and inexpensive and still allows one free slot for using a rectangular GND filter. I used it with my Toho when backpacking.

Kerry

Atul, that looks like a great hood setup. I know I'll probably look at getting one of those as I'd like to be able to use grads and a hood.

Thanks for posting that link!
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Let me get this straight..

The Arca swiss or the Canham hood for rya swiss do not support the use of grad filters?

The lee does? but only one grad filter? (no polariser?)

I was hoping to get a hood that will be able to shield both the lens and grad filters. Currently I have a range of cokin p sized filters but I am contemplating moving to the bigger filter size to facilitate usage with the 72xl and potential future 8x10 lenses. Is there any system that can facilitate "hooding" of these type of lenses+filters?

Arca-Swiss

The Arca-Swiss compendium is useful for all lenses, where the Lee will work fine until you get to wider than about 75mm on 4x5 or 6x12cm roll backs.
    The Canham, similar to the Arca-swiss although slightly smaller, is also as Kerry said. quite good as well for 171. Canham won't work with 141series at this time.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Darren, are you using the filter insert for the Arca hood? it takes 4" filters in an open slot (so no filter height restriction). This then slides into the back or front of the hood and the filter can be rotated if required.

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    Let me get this straight..

The lee does? but only one grad filter? (no polariser?)
    The Lee Wide Angle and Universal hoods feature filter slots (for the grad) and accept an optional ring that allows mounting of 105mm (round) filters - e.g. a polarizer. I know the WA can be had with two filter slots; not sure about the Universal (I don't have one). Here is a link to the WA hood with the optional ring all ready to go at Badger: https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=2436 - unfortunately they are out of stock according to their web site. Note that not all Lee hoods accept the ring that allows 105mm round filters to be used - for example, I'm pretty sure the Standard hood does not. I've only seen the Universal hood at Robert White in the UK. Several places in the US list a "Medium" hood, which may be the same size as the "Universal" hood, but I don't think accept the optional ring.

Hope this helps; figuring out the nuances of the Lee system is right up there with figuring out the nuances of the Arca-Swiss system...

Bob