Thread: Calumet processor for 8x10 Polaroids

Calumet processor for 8x10 Polaroids

Hello! I just bought a used Polaroid 8x10 processor from Calumet and have no instruction sheet for it. Though I understand how I have to insert the film holder, I'm not sure about the positive sheet. Can anybody explain it briefly? Also, how can I be sure that both sheets will be safely catched up by the rollers? Last but not least: does the processor have to be lightproof on the exit side of it? Even if I extend the rotatable cover to have the processor in an all-extended condition, it seems to me that light may come in on the sides of the rollers. Is the negative sheet protected from such light before it gets in contact with the developper paste? Thank you very much for any help!

Jean-Louis Llech

Hello, Marc,
    Pour une fois, le 7ème de cavalerie est français...(mais ça fait un peu 22 à Asnières)

You'd better send a mail to Calumet at website@calumetphoto.co.uk

They will send you rapidly the instruction sheet, as the processor was one of their products.

On another hand, do you know the book "Polaroid Image Transfer - tools and techniques" by Holly F. Dupré ?

Tell me if you are interested, and I'll send you the book in pdf format.

Amitiés
    JLL

Jean-Louis Llech

I have also the manual for the Polaroid 8x10 film processor (pdf file), if you want to compare both systems.
    JLL

Marc,

If, as I understand, you have the Polaroid processor (rather than the cheaper manual Calumet version) then I can help. The tray that locates onto the processor to take the film holder also takes the positive sheet. You place the sheet on the tray with the processing pack in first, white side up. You then put the film holder on top (with the dark slide side down and press the button.

There is a user guide on the Polaroid website at http://www.polaroid.com/service/userguides/photographic/8x10user_72dpi.pdf

The Calumet version must work on much the same principal if that’s what you have. The only difference is you don’t need the loading tray. It probably has a tray that folds out?

The results are stunning, especially with image transfers. Have fun and hope this is helpful,

Martin

Marc,

Forgot to answer the other questions;

How can I be sure that both sheets will be safely catched up by the rollers? You will see the negative jutting out of the bottom of the film holder, when you run the film through the processor this will go with the positive sheet. If they are placed correctly in the machine this all happens automatically.

Does the processor have to be lightproof on the exit side of it? Even if I extend the rotatable cover to have the processor in an all-extended condition, it seems to me that light may come in on the sides of the rollers. Is the negative sheet protected from such light before it gets in contact with the developer paste? Basically, yes it’s protected. The package comes out the other side “sealed” and has to be pealed apart (as with other films).

Hope all goes well, Martin

Hi Marc,

The rotable cover you spoke of is the recieving tray and cover, to hold and keep the film assembly in a light tight state during the development period.

1 tip, keep the rollers clean, a paper towel and a touch of warm water to wipe the rollers between shots. there is an I.D. sticker on the bottom that has the motor rating in amps. I use mine in the field, running an voltage inverter from my Ford Explorer. This works great with no problems to the car electrical system. Good luck

Thanks to you all, you were very fast! I have probably expressed myself in a quite confusing way, since I own the Calumet model. I already have the instructions for the Polaroid model and can refer to it for the basic principles, of course. I will ask Calumet directly, but if anybody has an instruction sheet, it will be great!

The Calumet processor has no need for a tray...that function is built in.

You slide the positive POD up and FORWARD under the large chrome "lip" that is under the folm holder "loading" area. The back of the positive slides under the two metal clips in the back.

Load the holder (neg facing down) and turn the handle....make sure the processor is level when you do this.

I find the Calumet processor a lot more reliable than the Polaroid Brand one...and it weighs a lot less too.

Thank you James! This answers my question regarding the positive sheet.