Thread: locations in & around New Orleans

locations in & around New Orleans

Got a trip coming up to New Orleans. In addition to favorite locations in town, I'm looking for suggestions for nearby, like swamps.

Any tips from locals or others with experience there?

Thanks,
    Michael

New Orleans, LA

Re: locations in & around New Orleans

Michael,

The French Quarter, the Garden District, Uptown, Frenchman Street and the cemeteries are all interesting places to shoot. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IN THE CEMETERIES! You should go in a group or hire an off-duty cop to go with you. As far as swamps, check out the Barataria Preserve: http://www.nps.gov/jela/barataria-preserve.htm. It's a quick drive from downtown. I'm a member of The New Orleans Photo Alliance http://neworleansphotoalliance.org/ and, through that network, can pretty much help you with anything in particular that you want to shoot.

I work in the Quarter and you are welcome to stop by and grab a cup of coffee and chat. PM me.

Mardi Gras is February 21 but the parading has started already so you'll probably get a chance to see one. Lots of fun.

Hi Thom,
    I saw your prior posts and hoped you would chime in. I'll send a pm.
    Thanks!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

If you have transportation, you might also consider shooting the old plantations along River road and the old oak trees in the City.

By all means do shoot the parades - especially the night parades which are the best and the heyday of the latter was back in the old days when the flambeau was legal. Flambeaus were large oil lighted torches carried by men wearing white sheets (no, they weren't the Klan). Periodically some of the City's best street dancers, sandwiched between two such phalanxes and the flambeau carrier themselves would suddenly come to a halt and fan out as the parade in front continued and the musicians accompanying that troupe would strike up a wicked beat that you would never hear on any radio or record. Then both the dancers and flambeau carriers would engage in a wild and indescribable dance to that music with the latter tossing and twirling the flambeau in mid air. It was quite a spectacle to watch - especially under the oaks on St. Charles where the shadows from the fire cast eerily on the trees. The best musicians were always accompanied by the best dancers. Following your favorite dancers and band was called "second lining" and I was a second liner.

Sadly the flambeau was outlawed while I was serving in the military. I was told that a float had gotten to close to the flambeau's when one of the carriers failed to make a mid air catch and the flambeau ending up on the float spreading its oil which instantly ignited sending everyone fleeing. That incident put an end to the flambeau which are now replaced with sparklers and are not twirled, and dancers, at least in the past category, no longer accompany.

Thomas

I went to New Orleans this past fall with plans to visit a number of locations in and around the city. I ended up absolutely mesmerized by the French Quarter and spent all my time there with an RB67. I did find out (almost the hard way) it is not advisable to wander off of the beaten path into less desirable areas without a knowledgeable armed guide.

I had the pleasure of meet up with Thom Bennett for lunch one day.

Michael

Post your experiences; I most likely will be in New Orleans latter half of May.

Reporting back: I actually made two trips a week apart. The first trip, the weather was uncooperative as a cold front moved through with heavy rain the first day and cold, windy days that followed (32 plus 15-20mph wind). We rented a car and drove out to Barataria one day, which was nice to get out of the chaos of the Quarter for a while. I'd like to return to Barataria when the water level is higher; it was very low when we visited. There are an unlimited number of architectural options in the Quarter. It is small enough you could spend some time wandering around without a camera just to scout, then return when the light conditions are what you are looking for. Stopped by twice to see Thom, but each time just after closing time so we missed him unfortunately. Food and music trumped photography on these trips, which were a blast, despite being a washout as far as photography. I'm hoping to get back later this year with a car (rather than flying in) to have another go. Great place; lots of opportunities.

New Orleans, LA

Michael,

Sorry I missed you! Let me know when you are heading back down here. Glad you had fun with the food and the music even if the photography was a bust.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Michael,

To really see and experience New Orleans and its neighborhoods (wards), take a bicycle with a rear rack and panniers to carry a light compact tripod, like a Gitzo 0 Series, and a compact light weight 4x5 like the Toyo 45CF along with film holders/ready loads. The City is flat and especially suited to touring by bicycle. I've toured by bicycle both here in the States and abroad and if you have the time and don't mind peddling it's by far the best way to tour an area and really experience it.

Thomas