Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This lens for 4 x 5?

This lens for 4 x 5?

Hi everybody

I'm interested by this lens supposed to cover 8 x10, but my camera is a Sinar F1 (4 x5).

Does it mean that I can use it with a 4 x 5 camera and to have a lot of room for movement? Is it a idea to use it for this format.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130636256365...84.m1438.l2648

Any advise appreciated.

Re: This lens for 4 x 5?

Norm, read the FAQs.

A lens that covers a format covers all smaller formats.

Like Dan said.

Did you read the line where it said that it looks to have light fungus inside? Kodak Commercial Ektars are great lenses. I own a 14" myself. I would skip this example though. Fungus can etch the glass for decreased sharpness!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Norm, read the FAQs.

A lens that covers a format covers all smaller formats.
    Yes I know, does it means that this lens is the equivalent to something like a 450 mm
    in the format 4 x 5?

Is the distance between film and lens focused to infinite is roughly 300 mm for 4 x 5 format? It is supposed to be like that for 8 x 10.

jadphoto

Focal length is focal length...a 12 inch lens is a 12 inch lens no matter what format it's used on.

I only looked at the first photo of the lens, but the glass really looks hazy. Might just be the way it was photographed though.

Make sure you have the ability to return it if the fungus is bad. By the way, fungus is never good!

JD

A 12" lens is equal to a 304.8 mm lens. A 300mm lens on a 4x5 would be similar to a 100mm lens on a 35mm camera or full frame DSLR. On an 8x10 this lens would compare to a 50mm on a 35mm film camera or full frame DSLR.

When we talk about coverage we are talking about the size of the image circle coming off the back of the lens illuminating the ground glass or film. If a lens covers 8x10 it will of course cover 5x7 and 4x5. On a 4x5 it will easily allow for plenty of camera movements.

Quote Originally Posted by norm the storm View Post
    Yes I know, does it means that this lens is the equivalent to something like a 450 mm
    in the format 4 x 5?
    Norm, I came to formats larger than 35 mm as a 35 mm snapshotter, long before digicams came along. I brought with me the 35 mm snapshotter ideas that fast lenses were highly desirable and that having many focal lengths available was very very good. I haven't fully shed them even though they transfer poorly to larger formats.

I mention this because your question gives the impression that you're thinking like a person accustomed to small (smaller than 24 x 36) chip digital cameras. Put that silliness out of your mind. Read the FAQs, get a few books on LF (Steve Simmons, Stroebel, ...), read them and then come back with questions about what you still don't understand. I make this suggestion because in my experience LF photography helps those who help themselves, not to try to curb your enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

in my experience LF photography helps those who help themselves,
    I love it! You could also substitute "life" for LF photography in that quote.

Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

in my experience LF photography helps those who help themselves,
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I love it! You could also substitute "life" for LF photography in that quote.
    True -- just ask any pirate...

The only drawback of using a lens that far exceeds the camera's format is that there will be an excess amount of light entering the bellows and bouncing around...possibly causing flare.

Vaughn

Norm -- Feel free to ask questions about any aspect of large format. The more basic the question, the more difficult it is to answer in a forum. As Dan recommends, books are great for this. The more specific the question, the better answers you'll find here; many answers that never appear in books.

The lens you asked about was a great lens in its day, and if in fine condition, still is. It is about twice the normal focal length of a 4x5; useful for portraits and some scenics. It appears to me to have rather bad fungus. The seller does offer a 7 day money back guarantee. You might email him with questions about the fungus and any other concerns.