Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New (to me) Eastman 2-D -- What Now?

New (to me) Eastman 2-D -- What Now?

Hi all,

I just came upon an Eastman 2-D. It was my great-grandfather's, and it's in great shape. I've never shot large format before, so what do I need to know?

It's a full suitcase-style kit with tripod, film holders, flash, etc. It's a 5x7 with a Wollensak Velostigmat Series II F4.5 Focus 7 1/4" (see image No. 3 below) and a Wollensak Velostigmat Series III Wide Angle F9.5 (image No. 4 below).

The 7 1/4" lens doesn't have the same sort of shutter cock selector switch as the wide angle lens. It doesn't appear to be broken off or missing, rather it looks like it never had one. What am I missing, and where can I read about the system?

Thanks for any help, and I can't wait to post some photos. Unless, of course, there's some consensus this should be a show piece due to its age and pristine condition.

Photos:

Re: New (to me) Eastman 2-D -- What Now?

Congratulations, really nice looking camera. There are lots of guys here who will give you info about what you have. After checking it out, I would set a goal of using it.

Thanks! I should also say I came into a Rochester 8x10 (no photos of it) without lenses. The glass had a fair bit of mold. How should I take care of that?

Quote Originally Posted by folville View Post
    Thanks! I should also say I came into a Rochester 8x10 (no photos of it) without lenses. The glass had a fair bit of mold. How should I take care of that?
    Where is the mold? On the ground glass?

Thats sure a beautiful 2d! Congrats
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The Rochester has mold on the ground glass, but otherwise seems ok. (I haven't gotten a good look at it yet.) The 2-D looks clean all around, though.

Best looking 2D I have ever seen. The shutter is self cocking when you press the release.

These are prewar lens, so if the camera is the same age, it is more remarkable for the fine condition of this camera.
    5X7 is a great format, same ratio as 35mm. Contact prints from 5x7 negatives display nicely without enlargement.

Nice camera. You will need to check the shutters (check by ear is usually good enough). The bellows needs to be checked for light leaks. Look at the back and make sure it seals against the film holders. The film holders should be checked for light leaks (you can use paper for that, as it is less expensive than film).
    Do you have a tripod and exposure meter and dark cloth? Once you get those you are ready to start shooting.

That camera should take standard modern plastic film holders, so if the ones you have are shot, you can get new ones.

Congrats!

Ground glass can be cleaned in dish soap -- no abrasives, of course.

"Show piece" -- something that does not work, but looks good. Otherwise work it (and the 8x10, too!)

If you decide you don't want to use it, save it for your kids/grandkids (and stash a box or two of each size film in your freezer for them to use...just in case).

My 5x7 is similar -- "Eastman View No 2". Don't use it a whole bunch as I usually use 8x10.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by folville View Post
    The 7 1/4" lens doesn't have the same sort of shutter cock selector switch as the wide angle lens. It doesn't appear to be broken off or missing, rather it looks like it never had one. What am I missing, and where can I read about the system?

The reason the shutters look different is one is a Betax #3 and the wide angle is in a Betax #2.

They are both self cocking but the #3 has a "rim set". While the smaller #2 has a "Tab set".

The Betax #2-The little chrome tab pointer by the shutter speed marks can be moved with a finger tip to different speeds on the #2 .

The Betax #3-You turn the entire Chrome/nickel dial on the #3 and line up the mark on the dial w/ desired shutter speed

I hope this makes a little sense to you.

Beautiful 5x7 2d. have fun with it and welcome.