Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eizo Monitor

Eizo Monitor

Well, it finally happened, one of my Apple monitors just up and died. I've been waiting for it to do this. It should have been nicer and given me a couple more months.

So, I'm looking at an Eizo. They are very expensive. I should have one, however. I do a lot of printing...

I have been looking at the 24 inch. There's a CG243W and a CG245W. The 245 is a bit more expensive. The only difference I can see is the Preset Color Modes now has Adobe 1998...

Do those of you that have these know the difference? Is one just a later version?

Tx,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Re: Eizo Monitor

Eizos are great, but the top of the line NEC monitors are, IMO, totally on par with the eizos, at 1/3-1/2 the cost.

-Dan

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Eizos are great, but the top of the line NEC monitors are, IMO, totally on par with the eizos, at 1/3-1/2 the cost.

-Dan
    +1 on the NEC.

Either of you guys driving this with a Mac? Guess I want to be very sure that these things are all they say they are. (Not doubting either of you, of course...)
    Do they have hardware calibration? Is there any down side at all?

I saw one of the 24 inch ones for $750. That's way better than $2770 for the Eizo... I could use the 2K.... to pay bills.

Thanks all for the help...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I have the PA271W-BK-SV, which is now a little over a year old, and am very happy with it. It does support calibration. I recommend purchasing Spectraview with the display. It will include a spectraphotometer. I drive mine with a Mac Pro from late 2009 on which I've had Leopard, Snow Leopard and now Lion. NEC doesn't always have a new version of Spectraview available at the same time that Apple moves to a new OS, but they get there soon enough. Tech support has been by email and has been very good.

I wrote a review for the Alaska Apple Users Group. You can read it here:

http://akappleug.org/2011/02/nec-mul...pectraview-ii/

Bruce

Always go with the Eizos - get one used if you want to save money - reliability is no issue.
    The 245 is self-calibrating if I'm not mistaken.
    Eizo has it's own production in Japan - the NECs are made by Chinese OEMs with lower standards (propably the same one who made your Apple).

I have 2 Eizo's- the CG 210 and CG211, they are simply the best. Eizo has other monitors that are superb, but not quite as good. I bought the 210 and 211 even though wider screens were available from Eizo because this model had their best and most accurate screen.

Just about any of the color edge series monitors will serve reliably and with consistent and accurate color. Once you use them you won't go back. To be honest Lenny I'm surprised you haven't used them all along. They are far better than the Apple monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M. Herman View Post
    I have the PA271W-BK-SV, which is now a little over a year old, and am very happy with it. It does support calibration. I recommend purchasing Spectraview with the display. It will include a spectraphotometer. I drive mine with a Mac Pro from late 2009 on which I've had Leopard, Snow Leopard and now Lion. NEC doesn't always have a new version of Spectraview available at the same time that Apple moves to a new OS, but they get there soon enough. Tech support has been by email and has been very good.

I wrote a review for the Alaska Apple Users Group. You can read it here:

http://akappleug.org/2011/02/nec-mul...pectraview-ii/

Bruce
    Lenny,

+1. I have the same 27" NEC (with MBP 2010) and it's great- get the calibration device unit. You'll need to buy an adapter from Apple for about $100 to use with MBP (and maybe others).

Have also seen good reviews of 24" LaCie: this month's Shutterbug (thanks Barnes & Noble reading room!) has a review of "LaCie 324i LCD Display A Top Display For Serious Photographers" by David Brooks. Think its about $1000-1100.

Rick

I am using a Lacie 526 and a Mac monitor in Tandem.The Lacie for imaging and the Mac for my pallets and Lightroom, we are about to hook up a third monitor , big and cheap to show all the channels and possible variations. I looked at Eizo and decided to give the Lacie a try, never looked backed or thought it was a bad decision.

What special things are some of you looking for that a NEC or Lacie cannot deliver?

In my world all imaging boils down to the L - numbers and making a good first test print. If someone here is saying that they get better results because of using an Eizo I tip my hat to them as they may have found the silver bullet.

You might consider the Flex Scan series. I got a 27" SX2761 a while back and it's pretty nice. On paper (at the time) it appeared similar to the 27" Color Edge - 97% abode RGB coverage, 178 viewing angle, IPS panel. Same contrast ratio and response time. It was about $1400 cheaper the the 27" color edge, more in line with the NEC spectraview monitors. Mine has no built in calibration, but the thing simply doesn't drift, or hasn't yet anyway.

Anyway, not sure how the newer models compare, but it might be worth looking into.