Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 or 8x10 for maximum print size

4x5 or 8x10 for maximum print size

Hi
    Im 14 and done various 35mm before and worked with MFDSLR, I have been printing bigger and bigger for my clients and want to print images ideally around 80 inches by 80 inches (quality is very important). These photos will be scanned and printed on high quality paper then handled by my gallery. I will be traveling with my camera a lot and would like a camera that I can bring to other countries with me and will have to be brought through airports. I would like a bit of lens selection, I like working with lenses in the 35mm (35mm equiv) range. I am considering getting a 4x5 speed graphic or a Dayi camera.
    (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DAYI-TOYO-Por...item415cf98474) I am going to shoot with colour slide if I shoot in 4x5 I could process myself. For 8x10 I would be looking at a similar camera to the Dayi such as a gaesoeri.

Re: 4x5 or 8x10 for maximum print size

LF cameras are a whole different animal. I suggest you use the search function as you've got a lot to learn. 8x10 would be the choice for large prints but isn't very travel friendly these days.

You're 14 with clients and a gallery?
    Dang! i'm impressed!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You have interestingly conflicting requirements.

Spend a couple of months browsing and searching this website and you'll probably figure out what you need to know. It's all here. Every bit of it.

I too thought that I'd want to use the same relative lenses for LF as I did for small format. Didn't turn out that way for me, nor for anyone else I know doing LF. That's because 35mm is about as different from LF as clarinet is to trumpet. But you'll figure that out.

Good luck with it. It's a big step, but one that many people have taken already. And much of their experience is captured right here in this forum. Do with it what you will.

Bruce Watson

I remember when you were 13 asking about 35mm or MF. You sure grew fast from picking a 35mm or MF camera to world traveler working with a Gallery doing 80x80 inch photographic prints.

I think the Dayi Toyo backed camera is a bit limited for the money. If you want a 4x5 why not get a crown graphic. The price is good, and when you are ready you can get a better camera. Heck if you are selling 80x80 prints at a Gallery you should be able to pick most any camera you want. Do you still consider Samyang lenses your " Holy Trinity" lol

You have a link the the gallery selling your work. Any samples, I am very interested to see what you are doing, Best of luck, AKf

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Hi, Simon, and welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for loads of help and good info.

A 4x5 camera is closer to using a large MF film camera than an 8x10. And 8x10 says, "I am a camera! Respect me!" A 4x5 says, "I'm a camera, and I'm fun!" A 35mm can say, "I'm a camera, and I'm cuuuuute!" But no LF camera is cute.

These cameras deliver quality, but they take some effort to learn and use. You have to do absolutely everything one sheet of film (one frame) at a time. If you take a deliberate approach to your photography, like setting the camera up on a tripod, making sure it's level, and basically take at least five minutes for a photograph, LF won't seem to be so bad. Otherwise, you'll have to spend some time adjusting.

You don't want that Dayi. One of the forum members (dsphotog) has a nice Graflex Super Graphic for sale for cheap, and it's the same model that I use. It's a very good and reliable camera, it comes with a very good lens, and it folds up into a nice compact bundle. It's a great camera with movements, and unless you're photographing architecture (buildings, etc) then it's fine.

Are you processing E6 yourself? With a Jobo? It's not difficult, but the temperature and times have to be kept quite strict.

Read up, and best of luck!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

5x7 the film does not come in colour so thats a no, I think I'm going to end up just getting a DAYI 4x5 with a few lenses for traveling and then get a 8x10 that i can travel if I want to but mainly stays near a car or not going on planes

Quote Originally Posted by simonsutcliffe View Post
    5x7 the film does not come in colour so thats a no, I think I'm going to end up just getting a DAYI 4x5 with a few lenses for traveling and then get a 8x10 that i can travel if I want to but mainly stays near a car or not going on planes
    A better option than the Dayi would be any folding wood or metal tech or field camera, purchased used so you can break even reselling it. Another suggestion would be to thank the people who take the time and effort to respond to your threads.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Digital.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

A 4x5 should suffice for most 80x80 prints. Better a 4x5 camera that is practical to use than an 8x10 that is left behind because it is too onconvenient for some travel. Edward Weston's 8x10 kit was 30 pounds according to his wife, not including a sturdy tripod. My 8x10 kit is about 25x8x18 inches and 40 pounds, including a flimsy wooden tripod. My light weight 4x5 field camera kit with three lenses and four film holders weigh 10.5 pounds without tripod. Substituting a Crown camera would increase the weight 3 pounds. Perhaps most airlines would permit it as carry on luggage. The Crown is probably the best of commonly available press cameras. Busch, Burke & James, and a few others may also serve well.