Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DeVere 504

Re: DeVere 504

I think non AF is actually better. Setting the AF sounded like a right royal pain and was nowhere near as easy as say a Leitz V35 Focomat.

Ari, you're going to really enjoy using the Devere, neg carriers not withstanding I thought Omegas were built like tanks but these beasts,wow. Just don't give yourself a hernia moving it around.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Thanks, Fred; but I'm only buying it to use a coffee table

Hello,
    I am a Arts PhD student majoring in photography and we recently got an Devere 504 as a donation from Medicine Faculty. I only used manual enlargers. This one has a keypad for autofocus but we do not have any manual . Is there anyone who knows about how this works ?
    I tried only once. We entered value 1 and the head went up and hit the ceiling.

Could you please help me to find a manual to make it work. I am enclosing pictures of keyboard, timer along with the enlarger/

Another question this one has 50mm Rodenstock Lens, can I change the lens I have Rodenstock Rodagon 135 for large format.
    And are there 4x5 negative carrier available or any compatible ones, the film holder seems to have a smaller format not medium but not 4x5 ,although I didn't tested it yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3652.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	195869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3650.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	195870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3651.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	195871

I can't speak to the automation question, since my 504 is an older manual model. First suggestion is to contact http://odyssey-sales.co.uk who are the major DeVere source in the U.K., where the 504s are made. Different enlarging lenses need different DeVere lens boards; without running down into my darkroom, IIRC the 50mm board is recessed, while the boards for longer lenses are flat. My negative carrier is a clam shell casting, with different inserts for each negative size, and I have inserts for 35mm, 6x7 (which I also use for 6x6), and 4x5. You can either look for lens boards and carriers on the used market, or contact Odyssey, because those parts are available new (but costly).

Quote Originally Posted by naimation View Post
    Hello,
    I am a Arts PhD student majoring in photography and we recently got an Devere 504 as a donation from Medicine Faculty. I only used manual enlargers. This one has a keypad for autofocus but we do not have any manual . Is there anyone who knows about how this works ?
    I tried only once. We entered value 1 and the head went up and hit the ceiling.

Could you please help me to find a manual to make it work. I am enclosing pictures of keyboard, timer along with the enlarger/

Another question this one has 50mm Rodenstock Lens, can I change the lens I have Rodenstock Rodagon 135 for large format.
    And are there 4x5 negative carrier available or any compatible ones, the film holder seems to have a smaller format not medium but not 4x5 ,although I didn't tested it yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3652.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	195869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3650.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	195870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3651.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	195871
    I would start with the manufacturers - Odyssey Sales - http://odyssey-sales.co.uk/product-c...hic-enlargers/

They are a decent bunch of people to deal with.

In answer to your other questions :-

Yes - you can exchange the 50 mm lens for a 135 mm lens - they should both use the same lens board

Yes - you can buy new or second-hand 5x4 negative carriers - but you need to know what generation of enlarger you have - to get the right one.
    Again talk to Odyssey and show them the photos - they will recognise it instantly.

Martin

Contact KHB Photografix for the Devere Autofocus manual. He also has the Troubleshooting Guide as well. The keypad should also control variable contrast filtration as well, and/or CMY filtration.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

thank you so much for all the replies. I received an answer from Odyssey. The person who replied says that:
    "The model was made for fast production of prints in a commercial laboratory.
    As this type of work is no longer done, we do not support this model any longer as parts are no longer
    available.We advise to disconnect all of the electric components and motor and use manually."

That is ok for me but I will try to get the manual as well from KHB, I hope the mavailable online as I live outside Canada.

Oddyssey have been particularly useless in my search for a unit. You indeed have a closed loop head, a friend has hacked them to manually control filters. It is a messy job... When you are done with unit and wish to pass along contact me
    The Container Lab
    www.thecontainerlab.com/blog