Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Found Photographs

Re: Found Photographs

The other negatives seem to encompass a couple of families. I have many of this young set of what I'm guessing are twins, and their sister. These negatives immediately grabbed my attention, clearly having been taken on a higher-end camera and care was taken to focus correctly. Some kind of odd 6x10 format, but I always crop down these found photos as they tend to be loosely composed so made it 6x9:

Another set of negatives are of a young soldier and his friends on what I'm guessing was shore leave in Paris, but I haven't scanned those yet.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Very interesting Brian!
    I have a similar but different situation. I am volunteering with a college that has a Historical Village on their property. Tomorrow we decorate as if 1890. I will shoot B&W film, period camera at Christmas Stroll

But concurrently they have a pile of old family prints donated by local folk to the Village and want them scanned for publicity usage. I have not seen the prints yet, the college is setting up their library 'CDW' scanner. No idea what that is yet.

Here's the question, what about copyright on donated and maybe untraceable provenance of images to promote a non-profit entity, the college?

I already have asked them to talk to their lawyers...

They desire far better documentation and website. The plot is expanding.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Here's the question, what about copyright on donated and maybe untraceable provenance of images to promote a non-profit entity, the college?.
    This is a great question. I do need to talk to a lawyer, about a few different things related to this.

Our copyright laws have not kept up with technology, but also these gray areas are problematic. I am reminded of a church in south GA I have photographed - the place burned down and all documents / info on the place has disappeared. However, as a religious entity, they had no property taxes - and therefore the land is still "owned" by someone, and cannot be repossessed by the county. A conundrum! Just like found negatives with no owners, with potentially no living memory of who/where/what/when.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

A few weeks ago I found 8 rolls in a box of donated film developing equipment I'd have for several years. My wife convinced me to look at them, and I was surprised they were a US GI's photos from Okinawa, about 1957. Lots of very interesting shots of a new bar district going up, and bar girls. I talked to a vet's group, and got confirmation of where they were on Okinawa. Some of the bar girl shots and some GIs:

Interesting, my brother was there 64 to 68. He shot 16mm slides, I have one but cannot find it

He told how locals could expertly hop up a Honda CL250. He was often busted riding on base like an idiot
    Tin Can

NW2Wheeler

Is there any information as to when these pictures were taken?

Quote Originally Posted by NW2Wheeler View Post
    Is there any information as to when these pictures were taken?
    The sign in the first photo about their business association says it is
    Okinawa.

NW2Wheeler, per goamules' post #665, "about 1957".

there was, of course, a tremendous amount of military construction on Okinawa after the US captured the island in 1945. There were numerous camps, mostly Quonset huts, to house the troops preparing for the invasion of Japan. A US military government ruled the island. The Korean War made Okinawa a much more vital part of Far Eastern military policy, and the number of major units increased. The 3rd Marine Division arrived in the mid-1950's, for example. The increased importance of the bases, combined with the dangerous frequency of typhoons, led to the construction of permanent typhoon-proof buildings, and the gradual replacement of the World War II buildings. Out in the villages near the camps, the increase in American clients led to the building of new bars, restaurants and other businesses. American money was the legal tender--not Japanese Yen. The exchange rate in Japan at the time was 360 Yen to the American dollar, which gave American dollars on Okinawa twice the buying power as in the States. The bar businesses boomed.

In some the photos you can see parts of a large letter 'A.' That meant the establishment was approved by the American civil government to do business with American military personnel. It was against regulations for servicemen to frequent unapproved bars. A heavy military police presence enforced this and other regulations. Booze was cheap. At the on-base clubs, mixed drinks were only 15 cents--and 5 cents during happy hour. The village bars were more popular, of course, because they had women employees.

I was on the island at one of the Marine camps from December 1961 to January 1963. Those photos show exactly what was out in town. But I spent my extra money on camera gear. I'm still down here in that rabbit hole I fell into back in 1962.

keith

NW2Wheeler

Thanks for the date info to all.
    I knew several people who were stationed there from the early 50's onwards.
    This adds another small piece to the stories.