Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172

Thread: Found Photographs

Re: Found Photographs

Perhaps the fourth shot of four

I think I found something pretty special this past week.

I was taking a short trip to Pensacola, FL to visit family and spent an afternoon combing through a number of different antique stores. In one, I just barely noticed a stack of photo prints leaning against a bookcase with almost no information or description. What grabbed my interest was the top print being a submarine, which was unusual. Most of the stack was old faded color prints of various military ships or locations but one black and white print stuck out.

It was an aircraft carrier underway with flight crews prepping a couple of planes. There was no info whatsoever and it was just a loose 20x24 print, but I recognized CV-11, the USS Intrepid. This image included some A4 Skyhawk planes so I knew it wasn't WWII vintage but likely Vietnam. It was clearly a silver gelatin print with some patina (creases, silvery edges), but a quality print and looks to me like original to the time. I asked the price - $60. I couldn't believe they weren't asking more so I bought it hurriedly.

Upon researching this image, I've discovered it is in fact from c. 1968 during the Intrepid's deployment to Vietnam, and is used as the cover image of the US Naval Institute's book detailing the USS Intrepid's history. The image size is exactly 19x23, the same size I mat my 20x24 prints, so I was able to mat it right up when I got home. I'll order a piece of P99 for the 30x24 frame and hang this proudly in the house with my other SG prints. I might contact the USS Intrepid Museum - I'm curious if this is a really interesting/rare find or perhaps the Navy made a ton of these prints for whatever, I don't know. Does anyone have any knowledge and what the Navy would use prints like this for other than just archives?

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Recruitment
    Tin Can

That would make sense I suppose.

I also picked this 8x10 print from Beken of Cowes of the HMY Brittania in 1924 at another little antique shop. The frame has the paper backing that I don't particularly feel like opening to inspect, but the signature and information on the print looks like other originals I've seen online. These early yachting photographs from Beken are gorgeous and the story about building his own camera to shoot glass plate negatives of the yachts is quite interesting. I also like the mat that was done for this print. Looking at some of the other Beken images I liked them so much I found an older photography book of their work and imported it - hopefully the prints in that are high-quality. I guess I'll see when it arrives in probably a month.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmybbc.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	245119
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Contact the Naval Academy Museum in Annapolis Maryland if you want more information on the photograph. If it has any other historical significance they would certainly be the ones to ask.

-Joshua
    Last edited by Joshua Dunn; 31-Dec-2023 at 10:46. Reason: typo