Thread: Options for carrying 5x7 holders outside a backpack?.

Options for carrying 5x7 holders outside a backpack?.

Space in my Kelty is getting tight- any good ideas for a supplemental low-profile bag that I could strap to the outside of the pack and could handle 4-6 5x7 holders? I saw some MC Gear 5x7 filmholder bags on ebay, but they don't exactly get rave reviews- http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=47800

Does anyone know if the Photobackpacker side pockets for the new Kelty P1 pack might work with an older Redwing 3100? Or would the new cascading style bags be durable enough to strap to the outside of the pack for long rainy hikes?

I have an email in to Bruce @ RPT, but would also like to hear from folks with experience with them. Thanks!

Re: Options for carrying 5x7 holders outside a backpack?.

Colin, when I use 5x7 I use a fishing vest, There are many different types that you can chose from but the advantage of the vest is if you have a bad back like I do it takes the weight of the holders off of your back. They have deep inner pockets that are great for 5x7 holders that can hold at least 4 to 6 holders per pocket and the vest are not that expensive. There are a-lot of other smaller pockets to hold things as well, I've use this setup for years.

Richard

I have the both versions of the Photobackpacker (one for 8x10 and other for 4x5). I think if you had some tabs sewn to the BP, then you could use the side pockets. They measure 6" wide.

The new cascading bag is really cool (I have one for 8x10). Haven't figured how to tie it to the Backpack although it has a carry handle. Not sure if it's rain tight or not - defer that to someone who knows better.

Personally I would go with the cascade as each holder is in an individual pocket and it can be attached to the tripod when in use.

Kindest Regards,

Tim

Thanks for the replies. Richard, I thought about a vest but was worried that any bulk in the pockets might interfere with the backpack's suspension. Have you had this problem at all?

Tim, it's good to hear that the cascade bag works so well. I'll probably end up getting the newer P1 bag plus one of those. I had not realized that the P1 was 400 cubic inches bigger than the 3100, so that would help with other problems. It might try to keep the active holders in the cascade bag and keep the exposed ones someplace else, in deeper storage so to speak.

Thanks again for the advice.

Colin, I've seen some small soft-sided coolers at WalMart that would work for that. Soft sided doesn't protect well from falls, etc., but does keep them out of the light, helps to keep the temperature constant, and are light weight. And they even have their own handle on top if you just want to carry them!

LJ Segil

The side pockets on the Photobackpacker P1 can hold six 5x7 film holders in each, seven if you like a really tight fit.
    Larry

Just as Vick has mentioned I use some soft sided small lunch coolers from Wally world. I think I paid $5 for the 1st couple but found some on clearance alittle while later. I can fit 5 holders in each but that's tight 4 with alittle room. They have handles that I just clip to my pack. I have fallen on some rocks straight back and landed on them with no damage but that was pure luck nothing broke. Although its not the most elegant option it does keep them clean and in relatively dark. Hope that helps
    Doug

Thanks Larry- I was hoping the pockets would fit at least 6 holders.

And thanks Vick and Doug for the cooler idea- I have been looking around locally but have been unable to find anything the right size for attaching to my pack. But it's a great idea for keeping film cool in the car- I do use a hardshell cooler for film and exposed holders back in the car.

Richard, I thought about a vest but was worried that any bulk in the pockets might interfere with the backpack's suspension. Have you had this problem at all?

No Colin, The vest works great for me. Fishing vest don't have the padded pockets that photo vest have so there is nothing to get in the way with wearing your backpack. the inside pockets are deep and more to the front sides of the vest. There are of course many many styles you should try some on to see what you like best. I find that just the plain old fishing vest that is long rather that the short style works best.

Good luck, Richard

I ended up ordering the P1 pack from photobackpacker late last week and it showed up today. It is truly brilliant- that's such an gangraped word, but it fits. Such an extremely well thought out and designed pack. It is a substantial upgrade from the Kelty redwing 3100. Improved suspension, more more room, a significantly enlarged front pouch, and pockets where you want them- there is even a plush lined pocket that's perfect for a pair of 3x focusing glasses. And the two side pockets are just right for 6 5x7 holders each plus room for another 6 at the bottom of the pack. I just wish I hadn't sat on the fence about it for so long. Very highly recommended.