Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hugo Meyer Dopel Plasmat combined FL

renes

Hugo Meyer Dopel Plasmat combined FL

Can someone explain what combined focal length and the fastest f/stop will give 120mm f/4 cell + 200mm f/8 cell? Any sugestion about its coverage?

I can not find any data of Hugo Meyer Plasmats.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Hugo Meyer Dopel Plasmat combined FL

Do you mean using a single cell from each of those two complete lenses? If so, we need the focal lengths of each cell. Or make an educated guess.

I didn't think a single Plasmat cell could be as fast as f:4, that's why I ask..

renes

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    Do you mean using a single cell from each of those two complete lenses? If so, we need the focal lengths of each cell. Or make an educated guess.

I didn't think a single Plasmat cell could be as fast as f:4, that's why I ask..
    I meant using combined lenses: 120/4 and 200/8. It seems it's a pair of cells used in one Doppel Plasmat lens. I do not have the lens, it's description of one guy who wants to sell it. I will ask him to confirm both FL and f-stops.

Edit.
    I thing it's 120mm f/4 but one cell only (probably rear) is 200mm f/8.

Piotr, the VM says quite a lot about Plasmats. Mentions that a pair of f/8 cells combined made an f/4 lens.

Spend the money, buy a copy of the VM.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

There's a pretty simple formula for finding out the combined focal length of two positive cells: add the two focal lengths together and divide by four:

120mm + 200mm = 320mm
    320mm / 4 = 80mm

You have an 80mm lens.

A 200mm f/8 has a smaller aperture than a 120mm f/4, (25mm vs. 30mm measured through the lens), so it will choke down the aperture. If you ignore the difference in magnification between the two elements, a 25mm aperture on an 80mm lens gives you f/3.2, which is probably pretty close. Allow a little more magnification from the stronger lens and a little more distance, you have about an f/3 or f/3.1 lens. BTW, the smaller focal length usually goes on the front.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

A front cell of approximately 300mm f/12 and a 200mm f/8 rear cell would indeed make a combined 120mm lens. That is neglecting the spacing correction, which is wrong but not very far off.

Coverage - could possibly just cover 9x12cm at small apertures.

Mark, you're disregarding that only a COMPLETE Plasmat will be as fast as f:4, so you can't get one 120mm f:4 cell.

And the smaller focal length always goes on the rear of a Plasmat lens.
    Last edited by Ole Tjugen; 18-Jan-2012 at 17:34. Reason: Addendumdum

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    Mark, you're disregarding that only a COMPLETE Plasmat will be as fast as f:4, so you can't get one 120mm f:4 cell.

And the smaller focal length always goes on the rear of a Plasmat lens.
    Quite right on both counts, I took Renes too literally when he spoke of a "120mm f/4 lens" in his first post, and I was thinking of other triple convertibles like the Turner Reich and Cooke Series XV configurations that have the longer length at the rear. I ran my convertible 8.5"/14" Acuton (a plasmat) through my mind, and Ole's right. I'd never thought about it before!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

renes

Ole, Mark, I am a bit confused than becouse the owner confirmed: front cell says D.R.P. Dr.Rudolph Mayer & Co. Gorlitz. Doppel-Plasmat 1:4.F=12cm, rear cell says Plasmatlinse 1:8 F=20 cm. Both cells have the same No.292472! so they make rather a right pair.

How to explain it?

That two equal 200/8 Plasmat cells make a 120/4 lens when combined is plausible.

Remember Zeiss' nomenclature. A single Ser. VIIa Protar cell is badged Protarlinse, the front cell of a Ser. VII Doppel-Protar (two Ser. VIIa cells) is badged Doppel-Protar.

As Dan said:

Plasmatlinse = Single cell, data given or use of single cell.
    Doppel-Plasmat = Complete lens with two cells, data given for complete configuration.

Just as with Protarlinse / Doppel-Protar; Anastigmatlinse / Doppelanastigmat.

That both cells have the same serial number is good; then it's an original pair and you can be sure that the combined focal length really is 120mm.