Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In absence of a 8x10 Master Technika...

In absence of a 8x10 Master Technika...

I am travelling several months a year, working with two 4x5 Linhof Master Technicas. I am satisfied with these cameras, the quality, robustness, compactness, low weight, and of course the quality of the images I produce with them. For some purposes, however, it would be beneficial to supplement my travelling equipment with a 8x10 camera, one that would have some of the same qualities as described above. If there had been any such thing as a new 8x10 Technika my choice would have been easy, but there is not.

When I bowse through the pages of this forum, there seem to be a preference to the wooden cameras for 8x10 fieldwork. For my purpose wood is not attractive due to the nature of my travels. Furthermore, I understand from the different forums (and from personal communication), that many current compact 8x10 folding metal cameras, are not always as solid as one would whish for (as compared to the standards of my current equipment).

This may leave me with the option of one of the light (but still robust) metal rail cameras on the marked. A 8x10 Linhof Kardan GT could be a useful compromise. I have only seen this camera in a 4x5 version (apparently there is not many 8x10's around) and I wonder if anyone in this forum have experiences in using this camera while travelling? Comments and practical experiences with this camera would be appreciated.

J.S. My 2-cents:A Kodak Masterview might be worth looking at---a nice camera, even more so now that lensboards are avaliable. They certainly are robust and as precise and solid as any user would want, plus they are light wieght(magnesium or something---its be awhile since I had one) and fold up to about the same size as a 'dorff. Probably much easier to manage in the field than any 8x10 monorail except maybe Gowland's light wieght model.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'd think the Toyo folding 8x10" would be a candidate:

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/810MII/810MII.html

Not being sure quite what kind of photography you are doing on your travels, but if you are willing to carry them, the nearest things to a metal "technika" type 8x10 would be somethiong like the Toyo 8x10 Field, or a used Kodak Master 8x10.

Not quite sure why you wouldn't go with wood, but you are unlikely to find a field camera much more sturdy and rigid than a Phillips Compact II if you aren't going for extreme movments. I've found it's actually more rigid than the Sinar F1/F2's 4x5's I've used (and barely weighs much more). I'm sure you will get plenty of other suggestions (not having tried it, but what about the metal Canham 8x10?)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

"such thing as a new 8x10 Technika my choice would have been easy"

Are you sure? There once was an 8x10 Technika. It was made from 1938 to 45. And it weighed 22.25 lb. That was a lot of weight to carry around. Especially when you add the weight of a tripod and head that can support a 22+ lb. camera and its' lenses.

Another question may be why take an 8x10 and a 4x5? Since both are the same shape there isn't much gained by taking the 8x10and/or 4x5's in the final print result unless you plan to print BIG.

When you get to your shot location you then have the question 'is it worth an 8x10 neg/chrome?-should I go back to the car and get the 8x10?' 'Should I go back to the car for the 4x5?' etc.

Possibly an 8x10 with a 4x5 reducing back might work better in that you could use the 4x5 for a polaroid preview but if you do shoot with the 4x5 you carried a lot of extra weight to take the same 4x5 shot that would have been easier with the original 4x5.

The small annoyance with a reducing back is that if you use WA lenses the bellows may not compress enough for use without a recessed board. The plus in favour of the 4x5 back on the 8x10 is that your negs will have very very little bellows flare so your negs/chromes will have more pop to them.

CP Goerz.

Thank you for the answers and suggestions sofar.

The reason for the 4x5's: I use them handheld much of the time.

The 8x10 would be tripod mounted and operated with the aid of an assistant.

Yes, the intention is to print BIG.

A second vote for the Phillips Compact II. Weighs less than 9 pounds and is incredibly rigid. I use mine in blistering heat and in the dead of New England winter. The only drawback is that you will not find one used very often and could wait more than a year for a new onw. I waited 10 months.

Octogenarian

Hi J.S.

From what you described it sounds like the Canham 8X10 metal field JMC is what you are looking for. Quality camera(www.qualitycamera.com), Atlanta, GA, among others, sells them.

Also consider the Toho 8x10. Very light and with the movements of a monorail.