Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norway contact

Re: Norway contact

During the 80's recession I met a young Spanish lad with next to no English that had come here looking for work. Emigrating to Liverpool in the worst of the 80's recession.

He made friends and found a job and so can you wherever you choose to go but wherever you go, the locals will have stitched up the easy well paid work. You get to do the work that they don't want.

I would have thought that Ireland would have been a better bet - as regards many aspects of culture (not least, cat.....ism). Yes I know about current problems there. There are advantages with a supporting sub-culture of fellow nationals.
    Apart from Norway, Greenland and The Canary Islands are outside the EU. On trips to Greenland, I have meet quite a few from "former east countries" who have been very well integrated into the society.

Quote Originally Posted by Øyvind:D View Post
    Yes, Norwegians are here. There are 1000-2000 jobs as photographer, and this is also so many that are graduation from photo-classes each year: no vacant photo-jobs, unless you are willing to work as a waiter, engineer, nurse, repair-man, carpenter, driver or diver ;-)
    Han skal ha å bli en veldig bra fotograf, jeg tenker. Jeg håper å reise til Norge en dag også. Selvfølgelig må jeg lære norsk bedre, men jeg har studert det i fem måneder nå.

Jeg synes du skriver veldig godt norsk til å kun ha studert det i fem måneder.

Quote Originally Posted by benrains View Post
    Han skal ha å bli en veldig bra fotograf, jeg tenker. Jeg håper å reise til Norge en dag også. Selvfølgelig må jeg lære norsk bedre, men jeg har studert det i fem måneder nå.
    Best regards,
    Eirik Berger

Quote Originally Posted by Øyvind:D View Post
    Yes, Norwegians are here. There are 1000-2000 jobs as photographer, and this is also so many that are graduation from photo-classes each year: no vacant photo-jobs, unless you are willing to work as a waiter, engineer, nurse, repair-man, carpenter, driver or diver ;-)
    The US also has many people of Norwegian ancestry. They came in droves during the late 19th and early 20th century seeking jobs - mostly in manufacturing fields. The dilemma of finding work in a field of your choice is not new. My grandmother left Oslo (Moss area actually) in 1898 and came through Ellis Island NY. thence to work in a bicycle shop in Bedford MA. til she worked off her passage and met my grandfather who had emigrated from Silkeborg Denmark. For interests sake and the fact that this is a photography forum below is a picture of her (on the left) taken in Norway before she sailed.

Gramma-Peterson-in-Moss, 1898 by hypolimnas, on Flickr

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

You can make great money in Papua newguinni and there are many great photo opotunity's
    Of course you will have to give up the pretence of civilization.
    Which could be good.
    My good friend just returned after doing work building and got on really well with the natives. The white people are exploiting them and are very paranoid yet also treat them badly. It is no wonder they get the odd murder.
    But apparently the normal natives are very very happy people even with 1$ per hour wages.
    That makes the west look like a bunch of bitter miserable spoiled materialistic skexies
    As in the bad guys from dark crystal the movies
    You could easily get z job in he mines in Papua
    Just saying there are adventures to be had if washing dishes and paying high rent
    Have lost their appeal.
    Africa? Just watched the Peter bird doco
    It may be possible to shoot weddings all over he world
    I met a man from Bali who charges 5k a wedding
    He had alot of gear mind you but I am
    Just looking at possabilitys
    China is booming.
    You could do classes in wet plate in china.
    Any way I reckon a traveling photog would be a dream
    Photojournalist. War any one?
    If you have nothing to lose then freedom calls!
    You can always return home.
    I remember seeing the doco on Andrew zuckerman, and he just
    Sat on the street and took shots of any one that cared.
    It's always worth setting sail. Even if you end up as Robinson cruso
    through a glass darkly...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Have you seen the price of booze in Norway...............stay at home, their winters are horrid as well......
    But as Ole Tjugen pointed out once, in the winter you can take a sunrise picture then wait a few minutes and a take sunset picture - probably without having to move the tripod.

Steve.

Nathan, around 800.000 norwegians emigrated to USA from around 1820 to 1920. Norway has only 5 million people today so it must have been a large portion of the population that decided to try the luck in the promised land... The image you shared with us is most likely taken in Oslo as it says "Kristiana", which was the name for Oslo at the time. It was Oslo until a Danish king (Christian IV) in the 17th cantury had a good idea of renaming Oslo to Christiania. In 1925 the city was renamed to Oslo again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    The US also has many people of Norwegian ancestry. They came in droves during the late 19th and early 20th century seeking jobs - mostly in manufacturing fields. The dilemma of finding work in a field of your choice is not new. My grandmother left Oslo (Moss area actually) in 1898 and came through Ellis Island NY. thence to work in a bicycle shop in Bedford MA. til she worked off her passage and met my grandfather who had emigrated from Silkeborg Denmark. For interests sake and the fact that this is a photography forum below is a picture of her (on the left) taken in Norway before she sailed.

Gramma-Peterson-in-Moss, 1898 by hypolimnas, on Flickr

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Best regards,
    Eirik Berger

If you go to the northern region in summer the sun never sets and if you go in wintertime it never rises. It gives a lot of variety of light conditions during a year.
    I love photographing during the northern summer nights when the sun is low all night.

This one is taken nearly at midnight april 30th 2008, and during the midnight sun period the sun gives low light conditions for several hours.

Tempelet (The temple) by E. Berger, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    But as Ole Tjugen pointed out once, in the winter you can take a sunrise picture then wait a few minutes and a take sunset picture - probably without having to move the tripod.

Steve.
    Best regards,
    Eirik Berger