Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90mm with 77mm filter thread

90mm with 77mm filter thread

Hello,

I have been in the market for a 90mm lens for a while now and all I have come across have a filter ring size of larger than 77mm. I am wondering if anyone knows of a 90mm make or model that has a 77mm or SMALLER filter ring thread on the front (most are 82mm and up).

I am looking for 77mm or smaller because I want to be able to use my ND Grad filer on it, and the ring for that only goes up to 77mm. Thank you in advance.

Any good leads on any websites would be appreciated (I have searched keh, adorama, and BH several times.)

-Ian

Re: 90mm with 77mm filter thread

90mm Angulon, as long as you don't need much in movements. 40.5mm filters.

Edit - http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...ta/8-90mm.html
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Lachlan 717

Hi, Ian.

Isn't this a bit like the tail wagging the dog?

Buying a lens based on filters seems to be the wrong way around here.

What filter kit do you have? Even Cokin P filters will do 82mm.

And, depending on what you're shooting, you might need to use a Centre Filter. These are always significantly larger than the mounting thread. For instance, the CF for the 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon is 105mm front thread, meaning that you'll need a Cokin X-Pro series filter to cover it (up to 118mm).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

How about the Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 or the Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm f/6.8? I've never used either but have heard good things about both.

Both are 67mm I believe, and both come up for sale once in a while both on this forum and on Ebay.

Both the Schneider SA 90mm f/8 and Nikkor 90mm f/8 take 67mm filters. I've double-stacked filters and used a ton of front rise with no problems on the Nikkor on 4x5.

Standardizing filters across the spectrum of lenses one uses and for filters one owns is NOT a stupid idea. I don't know about others but I don't want to carry around 4 different sets of filters or muck around with all kinds of adapter rings. All of my lenses are 67mm except one 77mm, which I use a step-down ring to fit 67mm filters on.

Besides, if one needs to buy all new filters for some humongous monster of a front element that could increase the purchase price by hundreds of dollars.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Lens tables

Fujinon SW 90 f/8 67mm
    Nikkor SW 90 f/8 67mm
    Grandagon N 90 f/6.8 67mm
    Super-Angulon 90 f/8 67mm

I have varying filter size lens. Using the Lee filter system I leave a filter adapter attached to each lens which the filter mount clips straight to. The lens cap is then displaced with a lee equivalent (or Green & Blacks Ice cream tub cover!) that clips to the adapter. It means buying an adapter for each lens but it saves faffing about in the field screwing stuff on and off the lens. I just take the cap/cover off, clip on the filter holder/hood, etc, as required and I'm good to go.

Forgot to check it last night but i am almost certain that the Nikon 90/4.5 takes a 77mm filter as the SW 120/8 does. Will check tonight if the answer has not already been given.

nope, the Nikon large format brouchure says 82mm, and also the drawing. Both 210 and 120mm uses 77mm

The 90mm 6.8 Grandagon-N has a 67mm front thread. Its center filter has an 86mm front thread. If you were to use the center filter you have to mount it directly to the lens first and then mount any other filter to its front. This is the same with any center filter.

All in all 67mm is a rather small size to standardize on for large format work.

> All in all 67mm is a rather small size to standardize on for large format work.

80mmXL 67
    110mmXL 67
    Sironar-n 210mm 67

Not a bad set.