Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "NEW" darkcloth

"NEW" darkcloth

I had the opportunity to try out a new darkcloth. It is made like a jacket from aluminized cloth...And it works great. It's called "Blackjacket". Check out; quietworks.com .It is light and easy to use. After focusing the "jacket" just folds up over the camera and you insert the filmholder, rotating the back is just as easy. I have no affiliation with this company.... Richard

"NEW" darkcloth

I wonder how it holds up to low temperatures? My BTZS cloth is suffering from the plastic(?) coating cracking in temps below about 10F. Sounds like this one is coated, but it's not clear with what sort of material.

"NEW" darkcloth

Brrr. (I started to send the preceding by itself, but got a message saying I must insert at leasr eight characters.)

"NEW" darkcloth

"I wonder how it holds up to low temperatures? My BTZS cloth is suffering from the plastic(?) coating cracking in temps below about 10F. Sounds like this one is coated, but it's not clear with what sort of material."

thats the single most annoying thing abouyt the BTZS cloth - whioch is otherwise excellent. Mine has peeling coating in several places due to this.

When I bought they said they'd fixed the problem and tested it. When I found the same poblem and called them back they said - well we tested it by sticking it in the freezer down here in Arizona, pulling it out and it was fine.

...Doh!

Great way to simulate -20 to -40c temperatures...

Now I don't use it from October to May - one of this winters projects is to copy the design in something that works
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

"NEW" darkcloth

"Doh!", indeed. It is sort of hopeful that this 'Blackjacket' cloth is made in Idaho, though they don't really get temp extremes in Boise but perhaps it's been used at altitude or Yellowstone, etc. I'd want some assurance that it worked in the cold before shelling out $75 for it. I'd guess that anything with a coating would crack/peel in low temps, though.

Anyway, Tim, let me know if you come up with a good idea. My feeling is that absolute opacity isn't really required, so long as it's dark enough. So maybe a coule of layers of some fairly tightly woven fabric would do--light outside, dark inside. I'd also think that the elastic should be able to cinched tight (like the waist tightener on a coat). No velcro, though--it's a nightmare with fleece gloves!

"NEW" darkcloth

Last week I inquired about a Blackjacket for 8x10 cameras since their website only mentions one size which fits 4x5 and 5x7. They told me that as of 11/10 they would be selling Blackjackets for 8x10 ($90.00). They look good, so I will probably waste more of my money on photography and get one. I'm not entirely satisfied with my BTZS cloths which never seem to fit just right.

"NEW" darkcloth

Please consider going to a tailor or seamstress and having something made to order. You might be surprised how good and how cheap this process can turn out something as simple as a dark cloth.

John

"NEW" darkcloth

My mother's favorite hobby is sewing. As kids, my sisters & I wore lots of homemade clothes. Last year I had her make a darkcloth for me. I explained what I wanted and she took some measurements. It took about $15 dollars in materials and a couple of hours.

"NEW" darkcloth

The silverized material of my Harrison Darkloth doesn't have a problem with extreme cold. It's light, packs fairty small (and is also massive) - it would certainly be enough material to make a pirated BTZS darkcloth for 8x10 - but with my sewing skills I'm a bit loath to chop it up.... (and it makes a great raincover for everyhting if you are cought in a shower)

My first darkloth was home made. Very lightweight and lightproof, but a little smooth and shiny. But if it was chopped up and made into a BTZS style elasticated tube, the smooth part wouldn't really matter (it wouldn't keep sliding off you) - might try that
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

"NEW" darkcloth

Search for the perfect darkcloth? I've had similar BTZS problems plus the cloth never quite matching the camera. So I had a seamstress make a BTZS like cloth, no holes for rear knobs, no too clingy elastic, no white rubberized material. Same size and similar configuration, black sude is ultra suede, white side cotton. Works well. Were i to do it again i'd try goretes in white. Bob