Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanning 8x10 B&W film

Scanning 8x10 B&W film

I want to try my hand at scanning some B&W negatives I have and some I'll shoot in the future, but don't have a scanner for 8x10. I have an older Epson 2450 that I thought I'd try and make a light source for, but looking on the big auction site I see plenty of scanners that I think might work. Oh, and the price of some of those scanners is right in the ballpark of my wallet. I'll mainly be printing sizes 13x19, 16x20 and maybe up to 20x24. I see scanners like the Agfa T1200 and T2500 that seem like they would work just fine. Also, some of the Umax jobs(Powerlook III, Powerlook 1100, 1120) ought to work. I know the Epson V700 and V750 are great, but I don't want to spend that much to just play-around. If I like what I get I might just invest more, but for right now I'm staying "low" budget. John

Re: Scanning 8x10 B&W film

Are you asking for someone to offer to sell you one? Are you asking what people think of the many choices you think would work?

Could you do 3 scans for the 8x10 film with your current scanner and blend them back together in Photoshop? Or would the negative get damaged/folded/pinched?

Otherwise you may be able to find an Epson 4990 for cheap. I search craigslist throughout the country and found one in Georgia. They shipped it to me for $90 total. The 4990 works great for my 8x10s.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Are you asking for someone to offer to sell you one? Are you asking what people think of the many choices you think would work?
    Kevin,
    No, I want to know what suggestions other folks, who might have been in my shoes at one time, might have. I just want very good result from 8x10 from a modest priced scanner. I know I won't get and don't expect drum scan quality from a $100-250.00 older flatbed scanner. I would like to get close to the quality of 6x7's off my Nikon Coolscan 8000ED if I could. John

I doubt that any of the scanners mentioned will give the same quality as 6x7 with a Coolscan. (I used to own an Agfa T2500.) By any chance do you have a dslr?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    Could you do 3 scans for the 8x10 film with your current scanner and blend them back together in Photoshop? Or would the negative get damaged/folded/pinched?

Otherwise you may be able to find an Epson 4990 for cheap. I search craigslist throughout the country and found one in Georgia. They shipped it to me for $90 total. The 4990 works great for my 8x10s.
    If I tried a triple scan on the Epson 2450 I might damage the neg as there are some clips that hold the foam panel in and those might ride on the neg. I thought about the Epson 4990, but it's still a little high. Not a lot, just a little. It's not like I need this scanner yesterday, which means I can lay in the weeds and wait for a fair deal to come by, but I do want to kinda know what to look for and what to stay away from. John

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I doubt that any of the scanners mentioned will give the same quality as 6x7 with a Coolscan. (I used to own an Agfa T2500.) By any chance do you have a dslr?
    The Agfa Duoscan scanning 8x10 won't come close to a 6x7 off the Nikon? I would have thought it to be close, but I guess I don't know much. Yes, I have several DSLR's Canon, Sigma, and Fuji. John

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

What about a custom holder to keep the lid off the negative and the negative squared to the scanner and light source? It doesn't have to be much.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

The agfa only does hi-res down a narrow strip in the middle of the platen.

A bunch of us are working on a DIY design using a dslr to scan film in small bits and stitch them together. So far the results are promising. See: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=84769&page=11 Posts #105 and #108.

See also Rick's test at: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=84769&page=17 post #170.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post

Didn't see you got a 4990 for $90.00!!!!! Now that's in my price range for a darn good scanner. John