Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Spotmeter Suggestions?

HHChapman

Small Spotmeter Suggestions?

Have been using a manual 35mm camera some lately. The Pentax spotmeter I use for my LF work is almost as big as this camera and it feels silly to cart the Pentax around when trying to go simple and light. Tried using a small incident meter but don't get along with it.
    I'd like to find a decent spotmeter that is more compact than the Pentax. Any suggestions?
    Thank you,
    -Harlan

Drew Wiley

Re: Small Spotmeter Suggestions?

The Spotmeter F by Minolta is a tiny bit smaller, but less convenient than the Pentax.
    There's a thread somewhere in the data base on this forum about something called a
    Pocket Spot, and a few people have tried them, but I ordered one two years ago and
    never heard back from them. Just sew an extra pouch on your SLR bag for the meter - or get used to the internal metering (never as accurate, esp for Zone work).

Minolta auto-spot 1

The smallest spot meter on the market is only a tiny bit smaller than the Minolta Spot F, and that's the Sekonic L-488. It's much less bulky than a Pentax Spot V.

I'm not including the mythical Pocket Spot.

Rick "noting a spot meter requires optics, which require size" Denney

I wrote for a Pocket Spot several years ago as well, to get on the waiting list, and recently wrote them again to see if I was anywhere near the top, but no response so far. They are still active, but build the meters as a hobby. Wish they would just sell the design to some Chinese factory that could crank them out, as (apparently) they are really nice.

I was on the list for over a year for the pocket spot as well. I got mine last january. It's tiny, takes some getting use to since there's no optical viewfinder. Mine didn't match any other meter I compared it to so I immediately contacted them (a lf forum member) regarging the issue. I asked how they calibrate them but never got an answer.* Part of the issue is the dial that you turn to adjust the f stop/shutter speed. It's not accurate all the way around, the printing is off. ONE YEAR later, I got an address to return it for adjustment. I'm awaiting it's return.

*I've owned and used many different meters and have never seen one which was new that wasn't within 1/3 stop of others which were brand new or recently calibrated. Spectra cine, Quality Light and Metric, Sekonic, all must calibrate their meters to some sort of standard, right?

HHChapman

Thank you all for your help.
    Has anyone had experience with one of the spotmeter apps for the iPod/iPhone? If one was quick and accurate it would fit the bill nicely.
    -Harlan

No experience with the ipod/iphone.
    I have used the Minolta M for the last few years and it has served me well although it does not work well in low light.
    You may have seen me use it at the New Mexico workshop with the late Per Volquarz.
    Just recently bought a Gossen SBC for little money and it will literaly measure light in my darkroom. i am impressed.

the iphone app Lightmeter is okay, not great. I've used it in a pinch and it's better than nothing but it's not a spotmeter, more center weighted at best. My minolta f reads low light very well and is one of the only meters I know of that can be adjusted by the user. there's a screw under the battery cap.

Vanannan

I use a Pentax V for my large format work, when travelling light (no pun intended) I use a Gossen Starlight which is an extremely versatile instrument, a little complicated to use but extremely accurate.