Thread: Cleaning Loupes and Lenses

Cleaning Loupes and Lenses

Hi All,

What do you use to clean you loupes and lenses? I did a search on this site but was unable to find a thread addressing this.

I have a Rodenstock 6x Aspheric (really big glass) and a Schneider 10x loupe? I use the largest Giotto Rocket blower, but sometimes there are a couple of pieces of dust that won't come off. Do you then wipe with an anti-static cloth or just a regular soft cloth or lens cleaning fluid? I have the same question concerning my lenses. Do you clean the lens on the back different then the one in the front? So far, all I have used is the blower. I am really careful with my equipment, and, at least with the lenses, so far the blower has done the trick. However, the loupes are starting to get just a little dirty. Before their performance is affected, I want to make sure they're clean.

I appreciate your sharing your experience with me,

David

Re: Cleaning Loupes and Lenses

I use one of those blowers with a soft brush. If I'm out in the sticks and it's really bad, I'll use vodka and gentley with my flannel shirt. The 240 G Claron always wears a glass filter, so that one's not a big concern.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

In the big picture, those "rocket" blowers are rather weak. I have a blower nozzle attached to a regulator (at the intermediate stage) on a scuba tank, so it sees about 120 psi. I use that on stubborn dust, and regulate the force the lens sees by how far away I keep the nozzle (usually a foot or so). Note that I wouldn't do this with just any air source (such as shop air), but breathing air has strict limits on particulates and is very dry.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

The usual: sandpaper, fine grit

Soft lens cloth and condensation of my own breath most of the time; a fine brush for particles stuck to the lens, and lens cleaning solution for stubborn stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    The usual: sandpaper, fine grit

Soft lens cloth and condensation of my own breath most of the time; a fine brush for particles stuck to the lens, and lens cleaning solution for stubborn stuff.
    Fluoric acid.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

jadphoto

I love Clear Sight...it's non-alcoholic and does a great job.

You can order it off the web and it used to be available from B&H.

The "inventor/alchemist" is a great guy, and a Brooks grad to boot. Used to be the AV department at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Tell him I sent you.

JD

ROR and a microfiber cloth. Don't use cheap or off-brand lens cleaners they all leave smears and streaks.

Thanks, everyone. I realized I had neglected to click on "Relevancy" instead of the default, "Last Posting Date". I assume everything that applies to lenses also pertains to loupes.

I am very careful with my lenses, but I don't put filters on them for protection. A teacher of mine drilled it into us thirty years ago not to do this (although I know there are many who disagree), so if I get dirt on the lens, it's on the lens, not a filter.

Basically, from all of your help and reading the three posts that Garrett shared, one should keep his lens clean, so cleaning becomes unnecessary. If it should get dirty:

Use a blower of some sort (different types are suggested from one's own breath to the scuba tank) to remove debris.
    if needed, remove carefully with a brush
    if still neeeded, remove carefully with a clean cloth (old t-shirt, microfiber cloth)
    if still needed, wipe carefully with a cloth or tissue dampened with a liquid (distilled water, lens cleaning solution, vodka, etc.), taking great care not to apply any pressure.

If I'm not understanding this correctly, please let me know.

Thanks again,
    David