Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feisol Review

Feisol Review

Please give me your thoughts on the quality of your Feisol tripod.

A friend is considering a purchase. They are much less than comparible Gitzo's, so if similar in quality it's a go.

Eric Woodbury

Re: Feisol Review

I have had a Feisol for about two years. Moderate use. I also have two Gitzos, one for the 45 and a bigger one for the 57. All carbon fiber. I got the Feisol for its lighter weight and lower cost. It is a fine tripod. Good value and plenty good enough. I have had only one complain and that is that the little rubber covers on the feet came off long ago. No big deal. If you get one, glue those things on.

Gitzo is a stronger, more heavy duty tripod that will probably take more abuse and last longer under harsh conditions. Paraphrasing Voltaire, 'better is the enemy of good enough'. That could be the case with Gitzo.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

LJ Segil

Enjoyed a 3772 for the last two or so years, use it for a Canham 8x10 with lenses up to 3+ lbs and as long as 30" with good stability, as well as assorted lighter weight cameras. Very happy with it, handles the weight well, seems to damp quickly, sets up quickly and easily (compared to my previous Manfrotto) with a very good positive locking action on the legs. My rubbers have remained on without glue (not to get too personal here). Somewhat bulky but light for that bulk, straps nicely to the side of my Photobackpacker P2 Kelty. Recommend it highly (though I have never used a Gitzo).
    LJS

Drew Wiley

I bought one of the largest Feisol tripods as a lightweight option to my Ries for 8X10
    work. I supports the camera just fine. Nice and sturdy, and half the weight of my
    wooden Ries. But definitely not in the same league in terms of abuse suvivability or
    sheer bully mass. And I would concur, the legs don't seem as tough as my Gitzo carbon
    fiber tripod, of which I own the earliest Mountaineer version, used for 4X5 backpacking.
    I haven't looked at the current Gitzos. I bought the screw on stainless spike feet for
    the Feisol, which certainly improves the traction. As far as quality goes, I'm quite happy with my Feisol purchase, but don't consider it a direct substitute for something
    heavier.

Another positive report on Feisol 3371 from me.

I bought the spiked feet for mine and it makes a big difference to the stability. It's relatively light and very well built. I have several Manfrotto's (including a CF model) but prefer to use the Feisol, it's bigger, more stable and well made. It doesn't come with a centre column but height-wise it doesn't really need it by the time you put a head on it.

Mike.

Thumbs up for mine. Its 33 something. It was the largest 3 section leg at the time.
    Also a thumbs up for Kerry.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

My principal complaint is that I would like more positive leg position stops like the Gitzos have.
    Otherwise, when I don't want to carry the Ries, or another tripod, it's a nice lightweight addition to the kit, especially for the price.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Mine is very high quality, the collars are easier on the hands than my Gitzo. Plus the customer service is great. When I lost an end cap for one of the legs I contacted Feisol (maybe through Kerry, I don't remember) and within a few days a box containing about 10 caps arrived on my doorstep, no charge.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have two: one of the largest size for 8x10 and a smaller one for 4x5. Excellent quality, no problems. They come with two hex wrenches for tightening anything that might come loose. I also bought a Feisol monopod which is excellent. I would not hesitate to buy another Feisol. I think they are the best value.

I have a Feisol and use it with my Wehman 8x10. No complaints except I think I would prefer a different locking mechanism for the leg sections. No big deal though. Gets the job done and it is light.