Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drum Scanner - Actual Costs (purchase and annualized)?

Drum Scanner - Actual Costs (purchase and annualized)?

I'm considering picking up a used drum scanner with my tax return this year. Almost certainly a Howtek as Aztek is in the same state I live in. From what I've seen used 4000/4500s go for $1-2k including drums and mounting stations. What I'm looking for are people stories who have gone through this process and what the actual costs were.

- Did you send your scanner to Aztek for check-up when purchasing? Cost?
    - How often do you need to send it in for service? I'm guessing this is related to number of scans rather then time. I'll probably only be scanning 2 4x5s a month on average, at least for a few years until my daughter gets older, then usage may go up; although I doubt I'd ever be scanning more then 4-5 a month on average unless I start scanning for others as well.
    - What has annual upkeep cost (including repairs, new parts, maintenance etc)?

Thanks for your input

Re: Drum Scanner - Actual Costs (purchase and annualized)?

I own two (not azteks), neither of which cost more than the materials needed to start up. With mylar, mounting fluid, drum cleaner, wipes, kami and tessa tape, you're looking at around $250. Those supplies will last you several years at your stated rates. I have a friend who got a howtek for $800 but has spend much more than that having aztek work on it. They aren't cheap but that's really the only option. The scanner I'm using now was $100 on ebay.

... well, I'm also interested in hearing people's experiences in this field - keep 'em coming.
    (I'm among the bunch desiring a second hand drum scanner, too)

Why drum scanner? You can get a decent used professional scanner for about the same price, and the quality won't be much different than a drum scanner but you get a faster workflow. I picked up a used Cezanne for about $1k.

Well, the first and only drum scans I've had done were stunning and sufficiently more tactile than what a high-end Imacon can do. So, naturally, I want the ability to get out of my negs what is actually in them.

I acquired a second hand scanner several years ago and the only real headache I had was getting the motherboard replaced after about 100 scans due to raster lines showing up in every scan. My costs so far-Howtek HiResolve 8000 scanner purchased in 2006- $4500 original purchase price, $8K for maintenance and motherboard replacement- Other expenses for fluids and mylar are relatively negligible- Im approx 60-80 scan into use since repair- by my calscs I have about broke even based on what I use3d to pay per drum scan prior to owning the unit- anything I get out of it going forward is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    I acquired a second hand scanner several years ago and the only real headache I had was getting the motherboard replaced after about 100 scans due to raster lines showing up in every scan. My costs so far-Howtek HiResolve 8000 scanner purchased in 2006- $4500 original purchase price, $8K for maintenance and motherboard replacement- Other expenses for fluids and mylar are relatively negligible- Im approx 60-80 scan into use since repair- by my calscs I have about broke even based on what I use3d to pay per drum scan prior to owning the unit- anything I get out of it going forward is a bonus.
    I consider this to be an example where one could either go the route you went, or even go with a similar Howtek 4500 as the OP stated. In other words, say the OP spends 1.5K for a 4500, is able to do the number of scans you have done, then the unit poops out on him. The owner could in the meantime, have put another 1.5K into another used 4500 just in case and even put it to use to eliminate some scan time OR even go on the search and simply wait for the next used 4500 to come around, etc. etc. It will be far less expense unless the OP has some kinda default lemon leech sitting on his chest).

Two points I'm trying to make is that:

1) Even if the OP went on a more expensive adventure as you have, you will be actually ahead of your expense chart and that unit with it having gone through Aztek should be golden for another 20 years!

2) I know there are incredible scanning operators....but....if you know and/or learn how to operate these machines to do exactly what you want them to do, you can "tailor" the scan so it looks how you want it to look. Sure, the ultimate goal may be to just do a straight scan and the rest in PS, but I'm sure you may want to take advantage of Aztek's exceptional software and have the scans tailored to what you consider to be the best you are going to get from a scan. In other words, NO other operator is going to get that same scan for you unless somehow they magically knew just what you wanted out of it.

Not sure if this makes sense, but I personally love the process of control from making the photo to finalizing the photo onto paper. I don't know what else can be more rewarding. At the same time, if we are all sending the film to the same scanner and that scanner is producing the exact same scan that we would do, then it would be acceptable to me if I was to send out my film vs. doing it myself. But I don't think all scanner operators are identical and we will ALWAYS run into certain shots that we may want to do a little something with during the scan process...a little something more than our typical tailoring even.

Cheers!

Dave Rowland

I have just picked up my 2 screen 1030ai drum scanner. I bought both off ebay the 1st for 99p the second for £90. The 1st one worked for about a year and then wouldn't calibrate its self. the second one is in much better cosmetic condition and a few years younger so hopefully it will give me a few years service and I have the original one for parts.
    The problem I have had is prior to getting the second one was finding someone in the UK to fix the 1st one. the independant guys seem to have all moved on and Screen uk didnt seem all that interested.
    buy one use it untill it fall apart get another. Oh and hold on to old macs if you can most wont run on Os10 some need 8/7........
    Dave

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Rowland View Post
    buy one use it untill it fall apart get another. Oh and hold on to old macs if you can most wont run on Os10 some need 8/7........
    Dave

which is a good, point, if your scan is done on an old program, how are you going to print it?

i know nothing but am also looking at drum scanners.
    through a glass darkly...

Dave Rowland

the scanner write a tiff file which has to be opened in photoshop on the computer that it is scanned on. at the moment I have a version of photoshop 6 on my G4 once opened and "saved as" it is then a photoshop derived tiff and can be opened on my G5 and CS5.

This then throws up another issue with adobes upgrade policy. The G4 I use is now a stand alone piece of tecnology frozen in time about 10 years ago.

Maybe the answer to the thread "Building a new drum scanner" should or could be resolved by getting someone to write some new software for all these old machines as they are on the whole made of very high quality components and should last a long time. And seeing as they are now cheap second hand to pay for new software that would allow you to use it on a modern computer would be a boon. Waiting for a 800mhz single processor mac to open a 400mb file is dull to say the least.

Dave