Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson V600 etc and stitching multi-part scans

Epson V600 etc and stitching multi-part scans

I'll be back in the US in two months and I want to get a scanner to start working on the hundreds (actually hundreds) of rolls of 35mm and 120 negs that I've shot and developed but have done nothing more with since leaving for Korea 2.5 years ago. An Epson V600 or Canon 9000F fits the bill for the most part, except for the fact that I recently came back to sheet film and started shooting 4x5 again, so I've got a growing number of new 4x5 negatives as well (to say nothing of the many, many 4x5 shots I have back home in storage).

Long-term, I'll get a V750 or maybe a used Imacon, but for now the V600 or similar scanners are all I can fit into my budget. I've seen 4x5 shots that people have scanned in two parts on one of these scanners and stitched together, but I wonder if there's anyone here who's actually doing that. I can think of plenty of extra problems one could run into that don't normally come into play when scanning a negative in the typical manner. How does one make it work well?

tl;dr Scanning a 4x5 negative in two strips on a scanner meant to accommodate roll film and stitching the scans: is there a practical methodology for doing it well to produce good results?

Re: Epson V600 etc and stitching multi-part scans

What does stitching buy you?

It gets you the whole 4x5 negative. The smaller scanners have a transparency unit wide enough to do 120 or 35mm just fine, but not 4x5, so what you do is scan the 4x5 negative in two strips then stitch the two halves together.

If cost is a concern, buy a used 4990 and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation versus stitching 4x5! It can also scan larger batches of your smaller formats at one time.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Photoshop has a nice feature called Photomerge. You just tell it which photos to merge, and off it goes. There may be faster and better specialty applictions out there, but if you already have PS, it should work. I use it to make panoramas from my small digital snapshots. It will even smooth over differences in brightness, etc.

When its done, it gives you each portion on its own layer. You can tweak any piece to better match the others, and then flatten it (if you want) to make a single image, or save it as a number of pieces in layers.

I should revise and note that the stitching part isn't the greatest concern, but rather it is the technical side of consistency in scanning, so that the two halves are not disparate.

Also, I considered the 4990, but I owned one before I went abroad, and wanted something that would better handle smaller negatives. I had a lot of problems with scan quality on 35mm with the 4990 that I had before.

You could add something to each target, some kind of step wedge, or pair of black and white areas. That way you could always adjust the levels against those constants, rather than something in the film. This would help ensure consistent scans.

Two considerations.

Considering that stitching software needs a bit of overlap to match pixels for the stitch, how are people getting 4X5 stitched using a medium format path on a flatbed scanner without making a third pass?

Also be sure to check whether the V600 really gives better scanning on 35mm. My V500 was actually not as good on 35mm as my friends 4990. (But.. two operators?? hmmm)

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Also, I considered the 4990, but I owned one before I went abroad, and wanted something that would better handle smaller negatives. I had a lot of problems with scan quality on 35mm with the 4990 that I had before.
    The V600 won't give you better 35mm results over the 4990. The 4990 is perfect for your needs, and cheaper.

I use a v600 and stitch in photoshop. Works pretty well for me, just two passes, there is more than enough overlap. I scan 5" x 2,5-3" two times. And photoshop does a wonderful job, completely automatic. And also the instant start-up from the v600 is a real time-saver ! =)