Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson v750 vs drum scan

Epson v750 vs drum scan

The shot of Battersea Power Station I posted on the architecture thread yesterday was a drum scan. As I usually use an Epson v750, having both files enabled me to make a comparison. Unsurprisingly the drum scan has more detail, but there were other differences that were a big surprise to me, and so I have written a blog post about it.

I hope it might be of some interest.

http://www.simonkennedy.net/blog/arc...d-vs-drum-scan

Re: Epson v750 vs drum scan

yup, that's why I own two drum scanners.

Simon, do you wet mount on the v750?

Hi Ari, no I don't really have time... although I am sure that that would help. I do use vue scan and colorperfect though, those help tremendously with colour and consistency I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by spkennedy3000 View Post
    The shot of Battersea Power Station I posted on the architecture thread yesterday was a drum scan. As I usually use an Epson v750, having both files enabled me to make a comparison. Unsurprisingly the drum scan has more detail, but there were other differences that were a big surprise to me, and so I have written a blog post about it.

I hope it might be of some interest.

http://www.simonkennedy.net/blog/arc...d-vs-drum-scan
    I haven't studied the first two images in any detail but with my monitor the Epson scan looks better than the drum scan. On my monitor the drum scan is dull, flat, lacks contrast, lacks saturation. Did you do the same things to it that you mention doing to the scan from the 750?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I'm actually fairly impressed with how well the Epson did in comparison. I can't say it was blown out of the water.

If you want full frame you'll need something like the better-scanning holder where you can mount the negative to glass. Not really a ding on the Epson scanner, just on the holders.

I think for internet purposes, the epson if fine and I believe a direct internet comparison is not fair, depending what settings you use to edit your images. Personally I like the drum scanned much better. I notice fewer dust flecks, but that could be accomplished by wet mounting the epson.

I have decided, for my purposes, when I post online I am using my flatbed. If/when I do an art show I will have my images drum scanned.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I haven't studied the first two images in any detail but with my monitor the Epson scan looks better than the drum scan. On my monitor the drum scan is dull, flat, lacks contrast, lacks saturation. Did you do the same things to it that you mention doing to the scan from the 750?
    Hi Brian,
    No the first image from the drum scan is completely unprocessed in Photoshop, the Epson scan is processed with my usual workflow. Further down is the processed drum scan. All this is explained in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by dexmeister View Post
    I think for internet purposes, the epson if fine and I believe a direct internet comparison is not fair, depending what settings you use to edit your images. Personally I like the drum scanned much better. I notice fewer dust flecks, but that could be accomplished by wet mounting the epson.

I have decided, for my purposes, when I post online I am using my flatbed. If/when I do an art show I will have my images drum scanned.

Not sure why the comparison is unfair, but I agree completely with your conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    I'm actually fairly impressed with how well the Epson did in comparison. I can't say it was blown out of the water.
    +1. Some of my reaction to the final images can be put down to the fact that, on my monitor, I prefer the color of the final Epson image to the color of the drum scan image, in spite of the clearly superior dynamic range of the drum scan. But in any case, the Epson is actually quite good.