Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo LA/Jan. 12-16, 2012

Re: Photo LA/Jan. 12-16, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    I think you are right. That is a good lineup of galleries; some I would have expected at Photo LA.
    recent trends at the contemporary galleries has been large color work (*very large*). The smaller, vintage b/w work disappears when viewed among this sort of work. I'd imagine a venue where the large work wasn't on display would be more conducive to sales of the 'classic' prints. (.. and I know that a lot of sales have taken place at Photo LA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    recent trends at the contemporary galleries has been large color work (*very large*). The smaller, vintage b/w work disappears when viewed among this sort of work. I'd imagine a venue where the large work wasn't on display would be more conducive to sales of the 'classic' prints. (.. and I know that a lot of sales have taken place at Photo LA)
    Good point, that does seem to be the case. Very likely the reason that Nichols, Singer, Bellows, Hertzmann et al. avoided Photo LA this time. With the dates as they are, one could visit both events without too much difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    hopefully not tagged with the words "archival inkjet", that's getting old. The last time I went, while there was a lot of nice work, there was also a bit of "print it out huge and tack it to the wall with thumb tacks" type displays.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    hopefully not tagged with the words "archival inkjet", that's getting old. The last time I went, while there was a lot of nice work, there was also a bit of "print it out huge and tack it to the wall with thumb tacks" type displays.
    yea.. i remember some of that.. i can't imagine having your work on display in a venue like this, and not putting the best presentation you can

Kerik, you had a very prominent place in the Ansel Adams Gallery booth (main wall had you, Ted Orland and Ansel). Beautiful work!

jim

Anyone who wants to go with me? I have a spare pass. Just help me pick out work worth commenting on! PM me! I'm especially interested in seeing what platinum work there is.

My report, first part, with just two photographers, is here.

Asher

Asher, that link goes nowhere.
    I met a couple buddies there yesterday. Not too many people compared to previous years. Not as many booths either. Did't see all that much platinum but did see some copper gravure work, plenty of nice street work. Not much landscape work except the old ansel stuff, roman loranc, and kerik's. There's a young guy (one of kerik's students) enlarging glass plates that were unique to the show but I can't remember the name of the gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Anyone who wants to go with me? I have a spare pass. Just help me pick out work worth commenting on! PM me! I'm especially interested in seeing what platinum work there is.

My report, first part, with just two photographers, is here.

Asher
    Link doesn't work.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Link doesn't work.
    Brian,

Sorry, it's here.

I'd recommend looking at monday morning's schedule

MONDAY, JANUARY 16

9:30 - 11:00 AM
    Docent Tour John Bennette (Curator, Editor)
    Join a Private Docent Tour, before the Fair opens, to view the artwork at photo l.a.with the guidance of a well-regarded expert from the fields of exhibitions, collections and art criticism.
    11:30 - 12:30 PM
    Vivian Maier: A Conversation
    With the exhibition/project partners: Jeffrey Goldstein, Steve Poster, Richard Gordon.

1:00 - 2:30 PM
    Keynote Artist Talk: Stephen Shore (Photographer)
    Stephen Shore will use his work as a springboard to examine the central issues of photography that have concerned him over the years.

It's open today and tomorrow. The entire schedule of events, beyond the exhibited photographs is here. If I'm not using both passes, I can take someone for the entry and also to cover the $80 for any/all special presentations you want to attend, but not between 2:00 and 5:00 pm today. I'd like help in identifying several more especially interesting photographers to report on. So I'd appreciate the help!

Note also:

The EMERGING FOCUS Learning Series
    "Sponsored by Brooks Institute
    Monday, January 16, 2012
    3:00 – 4:30PM
    Exploring A Visual Vocabulary: The Conversations that Bind Us into Community
    COST: FREE (Must purchase General Admission Ticket to participate)

In the process of exploration and development, art students also lay bare their vulnerabilities. Through participation in dialog they learn to rely on fellow artists and peers to gain strength and come together for support. Join a panel discussion with faculty and alumni as they explore the topic of the building of artistic community within the walls of the classroom"

I met some of the Brooks' alumnae and saw their work. I think it's interesting and worthwhile attending, especially if someone is interested in going to Brookes.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Asher, that link goes nowhere.
    I met a couple buddies there yesterday. Not too many people compared to previous years. Not as many booths either. Did't see all that much platinum but did see some copper gravure work, plenty of nice street work. Not much landscape work except the old ansel stuff, roman loranc, and kerik's. There's a young guy (one of kerik's students) enlarging glass plates that were unique to the show but I can't remember the name of the gallery.
    Do you happen to remember the names of the photographers/galleries working in platinum and Gravure?

Thanks,

Asher