Thread: Sinar F2 Lens advice

Sinar F2 Lens advice

I am newbie in Large Format Photography, I brought a 4x5 Sinar F2. I wish to take photos of landscape and products photography. Kindly advice what is the lens I shall purchase ?

Re: Sinar F2 Lens advice

Are you doing this for fun or profit? The reason that I ask is that product photography today is done using digital capture.

If the answer is for fun then pick up a 210mm lens. You can buy one used for around $200.00. They have plenty of coverage for the movements that you will need doing product photography. A 210 will also make a great all around lens for landscape and portraits. A 210mm is like a 70mm on 35mm or a full frame DSLR.

If you prefer a wide angle for landscape then 90mm's are very popular. About like a 28mm on a 35mm camera.

I would recommend getting the 210 first and learning how to use the camera. Wide angles are harder to learn with. I would also recommend reading the LF Home Page. There is a wealth of information on here for starting out. I know it really helped me!

210s are plentiful, inexpensive, and have a lot of coverage - good for a 4x5 F2, very popular combo. Probably good to start with, then maybe get a 90 and 135 to finish a common kit.

210mm plasmat

-Dan

Since you added product, I echo the 210mm of any vintage of Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon or Fujinon. Buy it cheap and sell it later if you don't want it anymore.

If only landscape, I would start with 210mm or 150mm. People stick their nose up at the normal lens (150mm) sometimes, but it is a great focal length, still with plenty of image circle for camera movements no matter which variant you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    The reason that I ask is that product photography today is done using digital capture.
    For the very large part, but the high-end auction houses and some high-end retailers still shoot 8x10 chromes almost every day here in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    For the very large part, but the high-end auction houses and some high-end retailers still shoot 8x10 chromes almost every day here in NYC.
    not to mention this guy, 8x10 chromes(and an 8x10" digital back for proofing)

www.mitch.fr