Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salthill

Salthill

anybody here use Salthill equipment? Was it worth it?

Salthill

I have their 4x5 sheet film washer. Best unit I have ever seen. Has a built-in venturi valve to aerate the water and create bubbles and turbulence which scrubs away the foam. Exactly what archival print washers need badly.

Would like to purchase more of their stuff (as the budget allows - big bucks) but assumed they had gone out of business. I saw their enlargers at the Javitts center ten years ago. Nifty!

Salthill

They are out of business. I bought, from Joe Salthill himself, one of the washers. He was moving from NYC, and cleaned out a "closet" where he found several items.

Photographer

Salthill

I have a 16x20 Salthill easel. I bought used and probably overpaid for it, but it is very nice and precise.
    Keith Pitman

Salthill

I use the Salt Hill film washer. I don't know about "worth it," there were other washers that sold for a lot less money at the time but the Salt Hill can be used with both roll and sheet film, which is nice, plus I've had it for about nine years and it's still working just fine so I'm not complaining about the cost. I also had the Salt Hill film dryer at one time. It was supposed to work with both sheet and roll film. It worked fine with sheet film and medium format but for some reason always left drying spots on 35mm film so I eventually returned it and got my money back. Too bad, it was the smallest film drying system I've ever seen.

Salt Hill made quality products. Too bad they came on the market with their innovative enlarger just as digital was getting big. I understand the enlarger is what did them in.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Salthill

I have the Salt Hill enlarger alignment tool- it works great. I had previously used the commonly recommended bubble level and plate glass method. The first time I used the Salt Hill tool I was amazed at how far off I had been and what a difference it made! My impression is that everything they made was first rate.

Salthill

Monochrom in Germany advertise a Monochrom/Salthill cross current baryta archival washer. The site is in German, so is the pdf describing it. For those of you who might be interested here is the link: http://www.monochrom.com/MonoC/int/pdf/Archivwascher.pdf. If this doesn't work got to www.monochrom.com, click impressum, click anleitungen. This is not an advertisement or something like that. I stumbled across it recently looking for a washer myself. I have never seen Salthill equipment, so I have no idea if this is usefull. Oh yes, they also sell a vacuum pump to use with it.

Salthill

I have a 16 x20 5-bladed Salthill easel and love it. I also picked up one of their variable intensity safelights. It's absolutely top notch equipment. In fact, I'd have to consider buying any of their equipment which I see being offered. Too bad I seldom see any !
    Jeff

Re: Salthill

I have a Salthill large print dryer for sale. It has never been used-still in it's original packing and shipping carton. It is the forced air type with fine wood and plexi case- beautiful design as in all their equipment. Any interest please write.
    Todd

Re: Salthill

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hochberg View Post
    I have a Salthill large print dryer for sale. It has never been used-still in it's original packing and shipping carton. It is the forced air type with fine wood and plexi case- beautiful design as in all their equipment. Any interest please write.
    Todd
    I have the Salthill enlarger alignment tool as well. It's always worked great for me.

Don Bryant