ID:	71375

Re: Still-Life Images, 2012

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	207b94195067.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	71376

Beautiful! Wonderful light, use of highlights and negative space. Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by X. Phot. View Post
    Egg in a Glass; Seneca No. 9 5x7; Taylor, Taylor & Hobson Cooke Anastigmat Series IIIa, 6-7/8 in. Foc; 1 second @ f/16, Arista.edu 100

IMO Nobuo Satoh (1926-2005)

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Well.. at least skull was staying where it was put.. :P

(try to shoot for side reflection next time you do any kind of glass stuff.. it will look better and give shape definition)
    Hi Sergei: Thank you for your help. I'd like to understand your suggestion a little better... Would you recommend moving the light source to 90 degrees? I had the light at about 45 (at camera right) and only used one. If I moved the light to 90 degrees I would think I'd also need to add a fill (at camera left) but think I might add more bad reflections. Any additional tips you have on shooting glass would be helpful. Thanks!

Radishes sprouting at Mark's house. 8x10 contact print, FP4. Comments welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mvanderaa View Post
    Hi Sergei: Thank you for your help. I'd like to understand your suggestion a little better... Would you recommend moving the light source to 90 degrees? I had the light at about 45 (at camera right) and only used one. If I moved the light to 90 degrees I would think I'd also need to add a fill (at camera left) but think I might add more bad reflections. Any additional tips you have on shooting glass would be helpful. Thanks!

Oy.. easier to show.. here is sample setup (one of many possible) ones. (not in LF, so only links).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sergeis...in/photostream

Basically in order to get nicer specular highlights you need to make your source enormous in apparent size. Easiest way to do it in typical house - use something as scrim, or bounce already diffused light fro the wall . Bouncing is not very good mainly b/c it spills everywhere, but in a pinch it works . And flag rest of scene - like yourself with camera, so you won't get reflected in surfaces .

As of sides - generally all the reflective things easier to shoot when you got light from side, and darkness in center - b/c you can hide your camera in that darkness Plus in case of glass - it makes form pop up and not hide.

Other way is to use background to show contour of the glass, by throwing most of light behind glass and not a the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Oy.. easier to show.. here is sample setup (one of many possible) ones. (not in LF, so only links).

Basically in order to get nicer specular highlights you need to make your source enormous in apparent size. Easiest way to do it in typical house - use something as scrim, or bounce already diffused light fro the wall . Bouncing is not very good mainly b/c it spills everywhere, but in a pinch it works . And flag rest of scene - like yourself with camera, so you won't get reflected in surfaces .

As of sides - generally all the reflective things easier to shoot when you got light from side, and darkness in center - b/c you can hide your camera in that darkness Plus in case of glass - it makes form pop up and not hide.

Other way is to use background to show contour of the glass, by throwing most of light behind glass and not a the glass.
    Thanks for taking the time to help, Sergei. I will give it another go!

This is one of my first attempts at still life - surprised at how much dust there is on a dark cloth!

Wista 45, Symmar S 120mm. Rolei Retro 100 Tonal - f32 15 seconds. Rodinal 1;50 13 minutes.

Critique welcome

Andrew

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lemmon 2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	71450

Quote Originally Posted by mvanderaa View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to help, Sergei. I will give it another go!
    You are most welcome. If you really want to study this stuff more - try to get copy of Light: Science and Magic, no matter which edition. Its pretty much best book out there talking about basics of light in photography, and not in uber boring way

There was some discussion a while back about knives pointing at the viewer instead of away. Here's one in the former camp with a sort of sinister feel, taken in my kitchen on a cutting board one afternoon. The old Polaroid film solarized the background quite a bit.

4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, Kodak Aero Ektar, expired Polaroid type 665

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Jonathan