Thread: EPX27 Batteries for Bewi Zoom Spot Meter?

EPX27 Batteries for Bewi Zoom Spot Meter?

I would like to get some new batteries for the Bewi Zoom Spot meter. The batteries currently in the meter are "UCAR Professional Photo-Battery Mercury No. EPX 27 5.6V". The back of the meter specifies "MALLORY PX27 or VARTA 7150".

I dont seem to be able to locate these on Ebay, besides the UCAR batteries are not of these exact type either. I do find a some batteries that get picked up under PX27.. however I cant seem to find the exact 5.6 volt replacement for the UCAR batteries (most are 6V and not 5.6V) and are not mercury.

Which batteries are compatible/suitable with/for this meter? Do the changes in voltages make a significant difference?

Re: EPX27 Batteries for Bewi Zoom Spot Meter?

The now extinct mercury PX27 would be right. That is, in case you don't know their size, the meter actually needs two of them. You'll have to test what 6V replacements will do - they will not damage the meter, but it is very likely that it will be considerably off.

Somebody with reasonable electronics and SMD soldering skills should be able to convert the meter to 6V, but Lithium cells having much a less linear discharge pattern it will never be as accurate as it originally was.

675 Zinc-air hearing aid cells have the same voltage and discharge pattern as mercury cells, and eight of these would replace two PX27, so you might be able to substitute these - but unfortunately they discharge within a month or two even when not in use, and a high current meter like the Bewi Zoom probably will not work with long-life low current "Wein" cells...

The silver PX27 cell is easy to find, the same cell is used by the Rollei 35 SE. Just google it. I bought 2 yesterday for $11 with free shipping. The voltage is 6 volts, which makes no difference on certain metering systems (such as the Rollei 35) and it may or may not make a difference with your meter. I have no idea, but it seems to depend on whether the meter system is "bridged" or not, whatever that means. I think the 5.6V is dependant on the mercury battery chemistry and they are now impossible to find.

I own this Spotmeter and the same question occured to me.
    Luckily I found the manual at Butkus and learned, that this spotmeter is equipped with a voltage stabilizer, what means the higher Voltage of 12V (2 cells) will be cut down as needed. Actually, I use 8 LR44 Batteries and the spotmeters accuracy does not suffer.
    In addition I was happy to read that it is equipped with a silicon cell what means it does not age and loose accuracy after time as CdS or Selenium cells would do.
    Overall a big reccomendation.