Thread: Advice on Omega D5XL--type of light source

Advice on Omega D5XL--type of light source

I have a chance to buy an Omega DXL, with a Super Chromega D Dichroic II head, in good shape.

Questions:

1) Is this a diffusion light source? If not, can I convert the head to diffusion light, still making use of the color head features?

2)If it is not diffusion light and the existing head cannot be adapted to diffusion light, are there manufacturers/models of diffusion light sources that can be substituted easily for the Super Chromega D head? URLs for same?

3) Any other comments on type of light in this enlarger?

4) Any other comments/advice?

merci beaucoup...many thanks...muchas gracias...danke schon...grazie..parakalo...etc.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

It is a diffusion light source. The color filters can be used to print black and white pictures on variable contrast paper. I have used a D5XL for nearly 30 years. They are very good enlargers. I have two of them.

I think "yes" to all your questions. Excellent enlarger. Standard of the industry. I have earned my living on Omega D enlargers for decades.

You should be aware of a possible slight downside, however. The color head uses expensive, somewhat difficult-to-find low-voltage halogen light bulbs. Power is from an Omegatrol: combination transformer, voltage-regulator and timer. My experience has been that the circuit boards in these units are good for about twenty years, maximum. Even when sitting idle on a shelf.

When I sent mine in for factory repairs, Omega would repair the board for $100 (no guarantee) or replace it (with guarantee) for $400.

I had my repaired and then switched to a conventional diffusion head with a 60w lightbulb and Graylab timer. Sometimes the old ways are better, at least for me.

Sorry, Peter. I should know better than to respond to these things at 06:00 before my first coffee. That should read "conventional condenser head".

Greetings,

I have to take slight excepton to what John said about the Dichro II lamps being expensive. The Dichro II color head uses ELC 24V 250W bulbs and they are relatively inexpensive. The last one I purchased from Midwest cost ~$12.

As has been stated, it is a diffusion light source. The Omegatrol could be a potential problem, but I would not be too concerned. You can find these on the used market fairly regularly. I have two of these enlargers and they're workhorses.

Regards, Pete

Omega also makes/made a power supply that does not include a timer, so you can hook up your own timer. That would avoid the Chromegatrol issues. It's also true that a good electronics shop can repair a blown Chromegatrol for much less than what Omega charges. You should also be aware of Harry Taylor at classic-enlargers.com for help.

Get the enlarger if it is a good price! Yes it is diffusion. If you are wanting to print just B/W, get a cold light head! You won't regret it. You can use the dicro head for multi grade printing also so if your wanting to keep the expenses down for now, your not going to have a problem. I have 2 in my darkroom at work and really like them but am partial to the D2's I have at home with cold lights on them!