Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advices about changing the Ebony GG with a Maxwell

Some advices about changing the Ebony GG with a Maxwell

Hi all,

i really need some advices and infos about the process of changing the Ebony GG with a new one, a Maxwell.

I've already talked with Bill and the next step is to send the money and make the purchase but i need to know something about the difficulty of the operation, if has to be done by a professional or if i would be able to change the GG by myself.

I've asked also Bill but it seems that he dosn't really like to communicate by e-mail... so i've passed the problem to the forum.

Where i live there aren't many possibilities to find professional large format services, and i'd really love not to send somewhere the camera somewhere, only to have the GG changed...

Many thanks and Merry Christmas to all !

Re: Some advices about changing the Ebony GG with a Maxwell

In order to provide assistance, I need to know which Ebony camera size you've got and which specific Maxwell product you're going to install. Those data will enable a straightforward answer, since I've successfully accomplished this on both my Ebony cameras.

It's not difficult, as long as you are careful not to touch the surfaces of the Maxwell screen with your bare fingers. I have replaced the screen on both an SV45Te and a 45S; they both have two retaining clips with two screws each. All you have to do is remove those clips, lift out the cover glass, remove the Ebony screen and fresnel, drop the Maxwell screen in place and replace the cover glass. You might need to gently bend the clips to maintain a slight pressure on the screen and glass because the Maxwell screen is thinner than the two components of the standard Ebony GG and fresnel.

Should take no longer than five minutes to do.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Joanna, that description is appropriate for Ebony cameras up through 5x7, but not the larger versions. Thus my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Joanna, that description is appropriate for Ebony cameras up through 5x7, but not the larger versions. Thus my questions.
    Aha! Sorry, I was assuming "small format"

Anyway, have a great Christmas.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

In order to provide assistance, I need to know which Ebony camera size you've got and which specific Maxwell product you're going to install. Those data will enable a straightforward answer, since I've successfully accomplished this on both my Ebony cameras.
    I have a 45S and i intend to put on it a Maxwell ultra bright matte 4.7.

Considering that Joanna has changed the screen exactly on a 45S...any advice would be great (and also from other members).

I've read somewhere that isn't difficult to change the screen (story relatated by a photographer which changed exactly a 45S GG with a maxwell one) but i've also read that there could be the need of some micro adjustments aka professional intervention for the replacment (in order to mantain the capacity of focusing/micro focusing correctly). Considering that i don't have any kind of experience in this kind of operation, i've thought that will be best to ask first...

After just a little experience with the 45S i've found the GG a bit muddy and pretty grainy. I was able to focus obtaining nice images..but i really don't know why i have to struggle with the ebony GG when there are clearly better options..

thank you for your answers and have a nice Christmas

No adjustments are necessary for cameras that install the ground glass focus-surface first on hard stops. If the camera is designed for a Fresnel between the focus screen and the lens, adjustments will be needed (a Fresnel-equipped Graphic is an example). Of course, if the existing screen is not positioned accurately, adjustments will be needed.

Rick "on whose Sinar it was a simple drop-in replacement" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by MWitmann View Post
    I have a 45S and i intend to put on it a Maxwell ultra bright matte 4.7...Considering that Joanna has changed the screen exactly on a 45S...any advice would be great...i've also read that there could be the need of some micro adjustments aka professional intervention for the replacment (in order to mantain the capacity of focusing/micro focusing correctly)...
    For a 45S, Joanna's instructions are exactly correct. It's an easy do-it-yourself task and has no impact on focus accuracy.

For a 45S, Joanna's instructions are exactly correct. It's an easy do-it-yourself task and has no impact on focus accuracy.
    Thank you all for the help.

It seem that probably i will be able to do the job; i'm still a bit preoccupied for the process, because i'm not very skilled in this kind of task, but i'll give it a try.

The Maxwell is really expensive, but seem to offer real benefit (i've also read a LOT of positive feedback for the maxwells)

Thank you

The most important thing is to get a screwdriver bit that exactly fits the screw heads in your Ebony. Next to scratching up the fresnel by mishandling it, buggering up the heads of the retaining screws is the most likely no-no you risk in changing out the ground glass in your Ebony. That and over torquing the screws by trying to get them in tighter than necessary. Just get a screwdriver that fits, turn screws backward when starting them and only turn them forward to tighten when you feel the screw seat itself. Then, stop tightening when you feel the screw hit bottom and do not try to tighten any further than that.

Give the same sort of protection to your old piece that was given the new one. Use Maxwell's packing to store the old Ebony assembly in case you ever want to use it again or if you decide to sell it to someone else and get some of your money back.