Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some advices about changing the Ebony GG with a Maxwell

Re: Some advices about changing the Ebony GG with a Maxwell

I have one more doubt regarding the possible order...

I shoot both outdoor&indoor scenes, and for the indoor the ebony GG it's clearly pretty dark.

When i started considering the GG replacement, and ended to the Maxwell products, i was attracted by the possibility to buy the HI Lux Ultra Bright, which is stated to be something like 30 times brighter than my actual Ebony GG ( i've already figured it as some kind of lcd..).

Now i just want to ask you if this very bright GG will fit also landscape work in bright light conditions, or will be more a problem than a advantage.

I use a Fujinon A 240mm F9, Nikkor SW 90 F8 and rodenstock Sironar S 135 F5.6, and if for the 135mm i can almost always resolve the shot, for the other 2 lens the process tends to complicate.

The option are between the Ultra Brilliant and the Brilliant Plus; the Ultra Brilliant being the "brighest screen ever", suited for dim light/indoor, the Brilliant Plus being more moderate, stated to be 5 time brighter than my Ebony GG.

Considering the price to pay for the Maxwell screens, i really wish to make the best choice.

So my question is connected to the use of the Ultra Bright screen in landscape/outdoor, and if that will be fine.

Thank you

If it looks too bright outdoors, you could always close down the aperture a bit

IMO, you can never have too much light on a GG screen; the Maxwell is a superb choice. Buy it, fit it and enjoy.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

At one time i had a extra bright Maxwell screen, some + version, on my 4x5 landscape camera. I have replaced it with a "normal" maxwell. The hot spot bothered me to much. For landscape I use a 80mm SS XL 80 mm to a 240mm fujinon A. I use the + screen now on my studio camera indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by gary mulder View Post
    At one time i had a extra bright Maxwell screen, some + version, on my 4x5 landscape camera. I have replaced it with a "normal" maxwell. The hot spot bothered me to much. For landscape I use a 80mm SS XL 80 mm to a 240mm fujinon A. I use the + screen now on my studio camera indoors.
    Thanks for your replies; probably i'll go anyway for the Ultra Brilliant, 'cause i really want a clear improvement for the interiors/dim light situations, and not risk to spend 450$ just to have a "brighter GG".

Stated that i also want to say that i'm not after some kind of LCD GG, but Joanna's observation is pretty pertinent: if i will find the Ultra Brilliant "too brilliant" in outdoor/bright light scenes, i would easily be able to adjust everything by closing the aperture. But if the light won't be enough, and the GG not a real step forward, i won't be able to do much thing, considering that two of my lens are F9 and F8..that's why probably i'll go for the Ultra Brilliant. Having said that, i have also to add the fact that i wasn't able to find anywhere any kind of complain connected to the use of the Ultra Brilliant in outdoor/landscape.

Probably if there were some issues about that, i would have found some clear complains, like in the case of the ebony GG.