Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My GraLab quit ... oh CRAP .... Tech in the darkroom

My GraLab quit ... oh CRAP .... Tech in the darkroom

My GraLab Timer up and quit on me. It has only lasted 35 years of almost everyday work.

I just downloaded an app from Digital Truth to my Iphone. It is the coolest Timer/Time and Temp database thingey i have ever seen. Its to bad i did know about this sooner.

Question: Anybody using technology in a creative and useful way in the darkroom?

For instance I was trying to measure 673 ml so i could get an accurate on my PryoHD mix for some film. Do you know how hard that is to get accurate? Then my youngest son 16 ... reminded me that at sea level 75 degrees 1ml of water weighs .998 grams. And then he had an epiphany moment and an idea. Why dont you weigh the water on your mail scale. Shazam it worked.......

Re: My GraLab quit ... oh CRAP .... Tech in the darkroom

I'm only 34 and on my third gralab timer. They just quit on me, usually while souping important negs.

i have repaired more of these things than I ever want to.

this past semester I just suggested to students that they download that app.

benefit 1) I'm not repairing these things as often. benefit 2) they've stopped coming to me asking: "How much time should I develop _____ for?"

now if I could only get them to remember what a ratio is. stupid effin millenials.(however you spell it)

I use an app that is a simple timer on my IPhone called Chronolite. You can set up a list of timers on the IPhone screen and activate whatever one you want one at a time and they run independent of each other. It also means I can develop more than one tank simultaneously and keep the times straight. Works great for developing for me.

I have a two prong metal GraLab that was older than dirt when i got it. No cheesey plastic and it keeps on working
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've got 3. One's running 8 hours a day to light my desk lamp (an hour at a time). The other's my darkroom (fix) timer. It'll be running as soon as I finish this post. The third is in a box.

oh CRAP. I'm out of MG paper and the "cool" shot I want to print needs grade 8. Guess I will have to settle for the "professional" shot that will fit Grade 2.

Does the App require a live internet connection at all times, or is the database stored within the device? I don't have wireless 'net access in my darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    Does the App require a live internet connection at all times, or is the database stored within the device? I don't have wireless 'net access in my darkroom.
    i dont know...good question.... you can go online to digitaltruth.com and print out times for different film and developer combinations with there Massive Film Dev Database

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    i dont know...good question.... you can go online to digitaltruth.com and print out times for different film and developer combinations with there Massive Film Dev Database
    I believe the iphone app stores the database locally. I just switched to 'air plane mode' and still had all of the database info.

I've received a digital timer like ebay item 320817822368. It has red digits so it should be fine in the darkroom. My gralab is still working fine after 20+ years, so I haven't hooked up the digital timer yet.

If it's for film developing, digital kitchen timers will work well. Wind up kitchen timers aren't accurate for most developing times.

I have the massive dev chart on my android phone, and also have printed out the developer combinations for my film of choice. I keep the printouts in a binder with other documents.