Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New from the Netherlands

New from the Netherlands

Hello,

my name is Steven and I'm 38 years old. I don't own a LF camera but I'm making one from scratch.
    Actually, it's a LF scanner camera. Basically a LF camera with a flatbed scanner behind.
    I've found this thread about a scanner camera for more information and inspiration.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...scanner+camera

Right now I've got a makeshift camera, made from two cardboard boxes inside eachother. One box has got a magnifying glass in the center, the other has got a big square hole in the bottom where the scanner is placed.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: New from the Netherlands

Interesting. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you BrainShaw.
    Here is a picture from the makeshift camera.

This picture is made with a flatbed scanner/printer with the camera laying on top of the glass scanner plate. A mirror on top of that changes the direction of the image from vertical to horizontal

The horizontal lines are there because the scanner uses the pinhole camera lens construction as a fixed focus. A scanner only have to focus on images flat on the glass plate. The image created by the camera is not flat.
    The vinget around the image is also a byproduct from the pinhole priciple. The scanner wants light to come straight in the pinhole. In the middle of the created image the light comes straight down, but when you go further towards the edges, the light comes at an angle. At some point this angle is going to be in a way the pinhole can't let light thrue to the electronic eye.
    The overall image has got false light from the scanner light. In a perfect scan, the pinhole is removed and the light inside the scanner is disabled. As for now, it works. There are many ways to change the image, with alteration of both hardware and software, up to the point of extremely high resolution full color pictures.

Welcome aboard Steven.
    Interesting experience.

Thank you Manet.

Progress is going slowly but steady. I've made two bellows. One square shaped, the other pyramid shaped.

This is the pyramid one. I've used paper because I don't have all the dimentions right. When the camera is made, I'll make a propper fabric and cardboard bellows.
    I know many of you use existing LF camera's to make "real" photographs. For me, this project is about trying to figure out how the camera works and using alternative materials. I've recently found a 8cm diameter magnifying glass with a focal length of about 30cm. Depth of field is about 10cm when focussed on an object about 1 meter away. (I'm not shure if I used the proper terminology, almost all is learned from Wikipedia )
    For what I've learned is, in order to make the DOF longer, I need an aperture. Next, I think I'm going to make a mechanical iris. I've made a cardboard one before, but that one malfunctioned.

New from the Netherlands

Most welcome to this international group with many European contributors !

Anything coming from the Netherlands should deserve the attention of the Large Format & Silver Gelatin addict:
    News from the Netherlands

Your cardboard diaphragm is quite interesting. A couple of points to note: When you put a diaphragm at in front of or behind a simple lens, the focus will change as you close the aperture. You'll need to check focus at the aperture you will use for the photograph.

Also, out-of-focus details will assume the shape of the diaphragm opening. Your cardboard diaphragm looks quite good at larger openings, but becomes a little irregular at small openings. If that bothers you (and it may not), you might consider using your adjustable one to find the aperture that works best, and then make a fixed stop with a simple round hole of the correct diameter. These were the standard stops used in the early days of photography to keep things mechanically simple.

Please keep us up to date on your progress. Many of us will be interested to follow it even if we don't say so.

Rick "good luck" Denney

I know the scanner camera is a bit of the beaten track and may have not got a lot to do with Large Format Photography, but the principle remains the same. 500+ viewers tell me a lot are interested. A bit of feedback is appreciated but not mandatory.

I know the shape of the opening is of influence of the image. It's the same effect a solar eclipse creates on tree leaves. I'm trying to make the diaphragm as circular as possible. I'd expect I don't need a small diaphragm opening. Probably not smaller than 1/2". I'll keep the fixed stop option in mind.

I want to place the diaphragm behind the lens. Does it matter where it goes? In front or behind the lens? Does the distance bitween lens and diaphragm have influance?

For aperture or diaphragm, it will probably be easier to make and use "waterhouse stops," placed towards the rear of the lens.
    Simply, different pieces of card stock, each with a different size hole, slid into a slot.
    Sort of like sliding a credit card in a gas/petrol pump. Just another idea for you.
    Marc

Example

http://images.powerhousemuseum.com/i...iums/99286.jpg

Rotary version

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqIOKokE32mz93cbBN-f2CP3,g~~_35.JPG

Thank you for the easier way to make an aperture. The waterhouse stop will be my second choice, if the diaphragm doesn't work. The rotary version looks easier to use. Just turn the wheel instead of removing one card and replacing it with another.