Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JandC Classic Film 400 vs. 200

JandC Classic Film 400 vs. 200

Hello All,

I have a question concerning the JandC Classic film. I am looking to find a film that I can use both in 11"x14" and 8"x20". One of the better choices seems to be the Classic film from JandC. My big question is how much difference is there between the 200 and the 400 flavors? I can see a large difference in the reciprocity of the two. Beyond that is there any major difference other then speed. I wonder if the choice of developer makes a difference as well. Any input is welcome.

I am not much of an expert but have used the JCC 200 shot at 100 and processed in PMK with pretty results. Friends have been using the Pyrocat HD formulated by Sandy King with outstanding results. Most of these guys are ULF types and their results seem better than ok. The only gripe I have is that their website is somewhat confusing if they are out of stock. It won't tell you that, it just will not allow you check out any of the item. Not being a smart guy it took an email and explanation from John. BTW, they are still out of 4x5 JCC200 and they are closed for the week this week. The other item is that the film has a paper separator between each sheet of film. I found most of them. I ruined 5/6 sheets of the first box. I found them and thought that I had removed them but no! I will order more in the future.

good luck,

leec

<<The other item is that the film has a paper separator between each sheet of film. I found most of them. I ruined 5/6 sheets of the first box. I found them and thought that I had removed them but no! >> Lee, is that what is meant by a "paper negative"? ;-) Paul

Paul,

Like the BPF films, these films have a thin paper sheet separating each film. When loading into holders, one must be careful to remove the paper interleaf. Otherwise, you can load it into the holder on top of the film which effectively blocks all light from reaching the film surface. I've done this exactly once, but it was still aggravating!

Regards

Has anyone tested these films for producing long scale negatives suitable for Pt/Pd printing? What's the filmbase-plus-fog level like? Has anyone been using it long enough to see if it is consistent from batch to batch? ---Carl

Check the comments on michael&paula.com in their azo forum. There is a lot of information available about processing and use for different printing (other than regular enlarging). I've found it to be a very nice film to work with. It has the ability to deliver a high contrast negative and be stretched in processing to meet many needs. A very good film from n- to n+ development. Responds well to pyro developers.

I inquired about these films and was advised the 400 is like Tri-X and the 200 is a thick emulsion film.

When I tried ClassicPan 400 (=Fortepan 400=J&C Classic 400) about a year ago, I found that it didn't come close to having the density range of Tri-X. It was also on a thinner base and scratched easily.

Mirko Boeddecker from FotoImpex e-mailed me back in June that they were planning to improve the density range, but I don't know whether the new and improved version is out yet. He did say that the 200 had been improved in this regard. I think these films have to be tested and viewed on their own terms and comparisons to other films are bound to be misleading. While it is true that these films come from a former Kodak plant, I don't think that it is safe to assume that the emulsions are unchanged since the 1950s when Kodak sold off the plant.

Sorry, my post was in reference to the J&C 200. Wasn't specific enough. tim

I haven't tried the JandC 400, but if density is what you're after, try Efke PL100. It'll get a lot denser than JandC 200 before plugging. JandC also sells this film.