Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Berthiot?

Question on Berthiot?

I just got a BERTHIOT lens , it marked "Berthiot Opten Fant Paris ".I want to know it's structure and coverage. Thanks !

Re: Question on Berthiot?

You have not given us enough information to deduce the information you want.

Need a bigger shot of the total barrel and lens description.
    The abbreviations stand for Opticien Fabricant.
    I would guess a wide angle as the rotary stop wheel is very near the flange. This lens may be quite large as the engraving seems tiny compared with my similar.
    Many Berthiots have serial numbers and this would have been above the shown text and the wheel.

Dominik

Does it have a name like perigraphe (great wide angle lens often with rotary stops), olor (Tessar type unlikely with rotary stops) or Eidoscope (Portrait lens)?

Dominik

Hi John,

"Berthiot Opten Fant Paris" aka : "Claude Berthiot, opticien fabricant"

Here is a catalog of this manufacturer : http://www.collection-appareils.fr/a...9d3802b532215d

Here other informations :
    http://www.oldphotographiclenses.com/berthiot.html
    http://www.dioptrique.info/

I hope this help you.

jp

The suggested catalogue is very good with later perigraphes, but not much use for the hand engraved pre-perigraph types!

I have hand engraved Berthiot Fabricant Opticien Paris No.4. Aperture ring has a scale with numbers 31, 22, 16, 11, 8, 5, 2 1/2, 1, where 31 is wide open. I can't find much information about this lens as well...

Anyone else see a trend of new posters posting up asking for info and then their mystery lenses show up on the big fee pay site with the same info they got here? HMMM weird.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow View Post
    Anyone else see a trend of new posters posting up asking for info and then their mystery lenses show up on the big fee pay site with the same info they got here? HMMM weird.
    I see the post of the well full of knowledge and useful information given to those of us without knowledge.

FYI: I never sell anything of my gear. I bought this lens for quite a nice price on "big fee pay site". I tested the same lens owned by my friend half a year ago and decided to buy it on the base of what I saw on the darkroom print. Although I'd like to know something about the history of the lens I bought it for shooting. I'm primarily photographer, not collector.

I have couple of other lenses on the wish list I've already tried/tested in the past which aren't in the Hall of Fame (better to say Hall of Ridiculous Price) and there is not much information about them on the net. The only lens I bought following the Apug/largeformat recommendation was Verito. Even the Eidoscope #2 I bought after testing.

Have a nice day full of sunshine.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kapro View Post
    I have hand engraved Berthiot Fabricant Opticien Paris No.4. Aperture ring has a scale with numbers 31, 22, 16, 11, 8, 5, 2 1/2, 1, where 31 is wide open. I can't find much information about this lens as well...
    Could that be the diameter of the aperture, in millimeters?

There are a couple of "reverse" aperture numbering systems, but this looks more like a diameter. If that's what it is, you determine the f-number by dividing the focal length of the lens by the diameter of the aperture.